Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

going sking for first time

Options
  • 30-12-2014 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Im new to all this skiing and am going to go skiing for the first time this year

Probably going to go to Czech as I have to go to Prague for a few days

So questions
    Wheres a good place to go skiing in Czech ? and somewhere the night life is fairly good ?

What do I really need to bring with me ?
    Ive never been skiing before so won't be buying skis Ill rent those at the resort

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

aidanki wrote: »
    Im new to all this skiing and am going to go skiing for the first time this year

Probably going to go to Czech as I have to go to Prague for a few days

So questions
    Wheres a good place to go skiing in Czech ? and somewhere the night life is fairly good ?

Ive never been skiing before so won't be buying skis Ill rent those at the resort

Spindleruv Myln is a good place to begin skiing. You can take a bus directly from the Florence or Cerny Most bus stations in Prague to Spindl.

Coaches leave regularly from either Florenc bus station near Prague city centre, or more regularly from Cerny Most metro station (the eastern end of the B/Yellow line). The journey takes between three and four hours, depending on the number of stops en route, and where you start from. For full details of times, check the IDOS website. If your Czech is up to it, you can make a reservation online at http://www.svt.cz/amsbus/ (you still have to pay for the ticket in person at an AMS Bus counter 3 days in advance). When you get to Spindleruv Mlyn, you're depositied at the bus station a short walk from the town centre. Walk in the direction the bus was travelling just round the next corner to get to the town proper.

Current fare for the bus is about 6 euro.

Here's some details on bus times: http://jizdnirady.idnes.cz/vlakyautobusymhdvse/spojeni/?pr=1&id=x2dd162g2dd163g2dd164g69

You can book accomodation at http://www.spindleruv-mlyn.com/en/ but one problem you may encounter is the full week bookings often required at cheaper pensions - which means either moving hostels/pensions or trying to fit your plans around the Sun - Sat schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Never skied there, but found this place online.
    http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skiresorts/resortfacts.aspx/Spindleruv-Mlyn#.VKNHzl4AAA

It's small and 2 and a bit hours from Prague near the Polish border, but fine for a first timer. Ridiculously cheap by western alpine standards which is a bonus! You could check out Polish resorts on the Skiclub site as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

d2ww wrote: »
    Never skied there, but found this place online.
    http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skiresorts/resortfacts.aspx/Spindleruv-Mlyn#.VKNHzl4AAA

It's small and 2 and a bit hours from Prague near the Polish border, but fine for a first timer. Ridiculously cheap by western alpine standards which is a bonus! You could check out Polish resorts on the Skiclub site as well.

It's not small for a beginner...

http://flash.holidayinfo.cz/maps/flashmap_hol.php?mapid=35&lang=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

If your interested in Poland ive been a few times and can offer some advice.
    As for clothes.

Jacket (with snowskirt) i brought my north face triclimate the 1st year and it was crap , i fell a lot and it wasnt that breathable.
    You can pick one up for around €50 , dont be going mad as you might not use it again , youll get a bit of wear out of it here too.
    Ski trousers
    ski socks , your ordinary ones wont work in the ski boots
    Ski gloves , your hands will get wet so the pair your mother bought you for Xmas wont do.
    Sunglasses , you wont be powing down the mountain so you wont need goggles , but at least a cat 4 pair of glasses , massive glare off the snow so you need them.
    Hat
    thermal or synthetic bottoms and tops.

think thats about it , loads of threads on where to pick this stuff up on the cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

aidanki wrote: »

hat
    ski goggles
    neckgaitor/ snoot
    jacket Ideally with a snow skirt
    ski gloves
    ski pants
    ski socks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Cut your toenails short, and bring Factor 50 for your lips :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

sheesh wrote: »
    hat
    ski goggles
    neckgaitor/ snoot
    jacket Ideally with a snow skirt
    ski gloves
    ski pants
    ski socks

If male you need to bring a jumbo pack of 'protection' (non uv light type) as the après is a dead cert for the 'score' especially with the number of fit and tidy European lady skiers!!!

Road-Hog wrote: »
    If male you need to bring a jumbo pack of 'protection' (non uv light type) as the après is a dead cert for the 'score' especially with the number of fit and tidy European lady skiers!!!

Also relevant if you are female. And 100% the main reason for cutting your toenails short ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Here's a list I posted a few years back :)
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056498880/2

olaola wrote: »
    Here's a list I posted a few years back :)
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056498880/2

HOLY CRAP!! Oh Lord I laughed reading that- its comprehensive, but How many suitcases does it take to pack all that? Lift pass retractatron?! Scholl corn plasters??!! Brilliant :-)

(BUT they forgot to mention toothbrush, phone charger, adapter plug & hot towels in case of unexpected mountainside childbirth. Minus douze points for those omissions) ;)

Ah I enjoyed that. Goes to show how woefully unprepared I am most days lol. Money, liftpass, SPF, phone & extra battery. Maybe a lipgloss lol. Pockets only, no backpack. BOOM! (The difference in our priorities makes the OH want to kill me everyday, but that's what he's for lol)

• Advertisement

fannymagee wrote: »
    HOLY CRAP!! Oh Lord I laughed reading that- its comprehensive, but How many suitcases does it take to pack all that? Lift pass retractatron?! Scholl corn plasters??!! Brilliant :-)

(BUT they forgot to mention toothbrush, phone charger, adapter plug & hot towels in case of unexpected mountainside childbirth. Minus douze points for those omissions) ;)

Ah I enjoyed that. Goes to show how woefully unprepared I am most days lol. Money, liftpass, SPF, phone & extra battery. Maybe a lipgloss lol. Pockets only, no backpack. BOOM! (The difference in our priorities makes the OH want to kill me everyday, but that's what he's for lol)

I must pass on the omissions list. Make it more comprehensive this year :D
    Jeepers, less than a week to go, I'm salivating with excitement!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

olaola wrote: »
    I must pass on the omissions list. Make it more comprehensive this year :D
    Jeepers, less than a week to go, I'm salivating with excitement!

same here!

sheesh wrote: »
    same here!

Where you off to?

Advertisement