Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord issues

Options
  • 30-12-2014 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi there feel free to move this if this si the wrong forum.Quite a few weeks ago I asked to move out of my current residence and gave notice and asked for my deposit back.The landlord refused stating that I'd agreed to take the residence for a year and I would forfeit my deposit.I,however don't remember agreeing to such a thing.I haven't signed a contract and have only been there for 2 months.Can I move out and get my deposit back?Do I have any real rights seeing that I haven't even signed a contract and have only been there 2 monthhs.Any advice would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Moved to Accommodation & Property

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

ted9308 wrote: »
    Hi there feel free to move this if this si the wrong forum.Quite a few weeks ago I asked to move out of my current residence and gave notice and asked for my deposit back.The landlord refused stating that I'd agreed to take the residence for a year and I would forfeit my deposit.I,however don't remember agreeing to such a thing.I haven't signed a contract and have only been there for 2 months.Can I move out and get my deposit back?Do I have any real rights seeing that I haven't even signed a contract and have only been there 2 monthhs.Any advice would be much appreciated

Does that mean you gave him notice after only 5 or 6 weeks. The PRTB registration alone (if there is one) is €90.
    Was a lease offered and if not, why not.
    Was it a cash arrangement or through the bank.
    What kind of a residence is it.
    Is he a proper landlord or just a fly by night.
    Have you ever rented a place before because if you have you've a bit to learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

So how long did you agree to rent the property for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭paul71

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Does the landlord live there too?

Who else is living there, and what arrangements do they have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ted9308

A lease was never offered.It was a cash arrangement.I do have a form of written receipt for the deposit.The landlord doesn't live there.All arrangements have been sorted by his sister.There are two others renting rooms.They haven't signed a lease either.

I'm not sure how long I agreed to rent the room for.I think it was just an indefinite time of year.Would it be binding if I did say for a year even though there is no form of written agreement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

A lease was never offered.It was a cash arrangement.I do have a form of written receipt for the deposit.The landlord doesn't live there.All arrangements have been sorted by his sister.There are two others renting rooms.They haven't signed a lease either.

I'm not sure how long I agreed to rent the room for.I think it was just an indefinite time of year.Would it be binding if I did say for a year even though there is no form of written agreement?

No all business agreements have to be in writing or at least if they are oral. They have to say the conditions of the contract you and you have to understand you are entering a contract.

Firstly start putting everything in writing. Get your room mates to write statements outlining they dont have contracts either, etc. Then email the LL asking for your deposit back and can he provide the alleged contract. Create a paper trail. Tell him you will go to the PRTB, if you dont get your deposit back

Give him a week to respond. Then inform the PRTB of your issue

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

Brendan rogers??is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

it all gets a bit hazy your honor when you ask about time period it was two months ago .....
    come on you know what you said... put another way how long did you intend to stay ? what made you believe you could stay longer than two months a anyway ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Since there's no lease, you can argue you're on a periodic tenancy. You would need to give 4 weeks notice and are entitled to your deposit back. If the landlord refuses, open a dispute with the PRTB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement