Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

march - geneva

Options
  • 29-12-2014 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Flying to geneva start march. 6 lads. Good skiiers. Looking for suggestions of high altitude / snow sure resorts within about 2 hours.
    Have Flaine /GM, Tignes etc on the radar but also considering monterosa. Has anyone beenor are there any other resorts
    we should look out. Have ruled out cham on logistics/hassle and verbier/switz on price. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

you could head here
    Bourg Saint Maurice, La Plagne / Les Arcs

Was there last year good sking but quite expensive resort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭maddness

Meribel? About two hours drive and great skiing but expensive.
    Alpe d'Huez is about half an hour further but again a great resort, high and a bit cheaper.
    Morzine, ski in Avoiraz but stay in Morzine as it's a nicer town. Only an hour from Geneva.
    La Thuile in Italy, about 90 mins drive.
    Have not been to Monterosa yet but hear that Champlouc is excellent, quiet enough town but great skiing.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭rjp123

Thanks folks. Have been to la plagne, les arcs and meribel a few times so keen for somewhere new. Good fallbacks though. If anyone has more info on monterosa area id be keen to hear where best base is. Skiing looks good but all reports suggest it is deathly quiet.

Thanks folks. Have been to la plagne, les arcs and meribel a few times so keen for somewhere new. Good fallbacks though. If anyone has more info on monterosa area id be keen to hear where best base is. Skiing looks good but all reports suggest it is deathly quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

how did you find meribel?

• Advertisement

tech wrote: »
    how did you find meribel?
    Thought it was fairly good. Great location either side of VT and Courchevel and even its own was fine. Was a few years back now and have no real outstanding memory of it.Sprained my medial knee ligament there which i wont forget but I would have no problem going back.

If it's a bunch of lads Monterossa is probably going to a bit too quiet.
    To be honest Alpe d'Huez or Les Deux Alpes are both lovely enough and fairly snow sure. I preferred Alpe d'Huez but the nightlife was better in Les Deux Alpes.
    If it's early March Morzine/Avoiraz would be a good bet too.
    If you want Italy La Thuile is only 90 mins from Geneva. A bit further down the road is Cervinia which is very high and is surprisingly good at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Val Disere dude come on. best of everything. petit danoir & dicks tea bar til 7 am, 2 glaciers. love it

Cheers all. Hadnt considered ADH or L2A as i felt they were too far from geneva. Both look really good though so wont write them off. Dr.Nic i was in Val dIsere last year so wouldnt mind a new spot. At this stage have it down to Flaine , Tignes, ADH or L2A. Monterosa another time.

Geneva to Tignes is 218Kms, Geneva to Alpe d'Huez is 208Kms and Les Deux Alpes is 211.
    Flaine is only 70Kms so if you only have a few days it's far easier to get to. I only skied there for two days and stayed down in Les Carroz so can't really comment on it.

If it were me I would go to ADH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

rjp123 wrote: »

It may be deathly quiet on the partying front, but if the skiing is good whats the problem ? :)

Yeah ADH probably more motorway in that distance than Tignes too. Re. Les carroz I was actually just onto a chalet co. there about availability. Was les carroz any good?

Also re ADH could you comment on Vaujany. My usual strategy is to try to go to good resort but stay in smaller attached hub to avail of slightly cheaper accom

I stayed in Les Carroz about eight years ago and while it's a pretty little town it seems more suited to families than what we were looking for. Skiing is ok but not as good as three valleys type of resorts.
    Haven't been to ADH in about size or seven years but always stayed in the town centre so can't really comment on Vaujany.
    Are you going for a week or just a few days?

Reason I ask is that Les Deux Alpes is great for a short break and has loads of cheap rooms and a couple of cheap (for France) placed to eat too. ADH is better for a full week but is probably a bit more expensive.

Cool cheers. Going for a week. Loads of options. Will monitor weather over next few weeks and decide then.

Advertisement