Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ineligibility of laser eye surgery candidates for the Irish DFs? Info please.

Options
  • 29-12-2014 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hey there. Just found this article about the Irish Defence Forces not currently accepting those who have had laser eye surgery:

http://medicalindependent.ie/50455/irish_defence_forces_could_reverse_laser_surgery_ban

They say that this policy is currently under review. They also don't state if this also applies to those applying for the RDF (which I am).

Can anyone here clarify if you can join the RDF if you've had this surgery? Has anyone here had the surgery and then been accepted?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    Hey there. Just found this article about the Irish Defence Forces not currently accepting those who have had laser eye surgery:

http://medicalindependent.ie/50455/irish_defence_forces_could_reverse_laser_surgery_ban

They say that this policy is currently under review. They also don't state if this also applies to those applying for the RDF (which I am).

Can anyone here clarify if you can join the RDF if you've had this surgery? Has anyone here had the surgery and then been accepted?

Thanks.

Be upfront and honest, thats what they like. :rolleyes:
    If not challenged, say nothing.;)

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Be upfront and honest, thats what they like. :rolleyes:
    If not challenged, say nothing.;)

Being honest though, ask someone you know in the RDF unit you are thinking of joining, waiting a year might make a big difference.

Just remember, these operations do affect you medical grading, so be wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Being honest though, ask someone you know in the RDF unit you are thinking of joining, waiting a year might make a big difference.

Just remember, these operations do affect you medical grading, so be wise.

Thanks for the reply, mrsoundie.

I had the operation done years ago (ironically enough, to do something I *wouldn't* have been able to do if I didn't get the surgery done). I'm talking about five years ago here. Never had a single problem with my vision since - it's 20/20. Hopefully, they'll take that into account (if they even ask about it at all).

As for waiting another year, I'm 34 now so this is literally the last time I can apply. Here's hoping.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,951 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bear in mind, a detailed eye exam can see evidence of laser surgery, be careful about what declarations you make.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Bear in mind, a detailed eye exam can see evidence of laser surgery, be careful about what declarations you make.

Yeah, I actually have no intention of telling them anything other than the truth about it. Like you say, any standard eye examination will reveal the surgery - hopefully, the fact that I got it done ages ago (and without any problems since) will be taken into account.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »

It wont be an extensive eye exam, more of colour and keenness than anything else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

First I have come across this. I previously knew someone who had laser treatment so they could join the cadets - and subsequently got in.

<speculation> If its five years since you had it done I would think its all settled down now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    Yeah, I actually have no intention of telling them anything other than the truth about it.

Then you probably won't get in.

Then you probably won't get in.

Sounds like some people who've had it done have subsequently gotten in (from one of the posts above, at least). In any event, that type of surgery can be seen in an eye exam; so there'd be no point in saying I hadn't had it.

That being said, if I'm not asked about it, I'll just say nothing. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I know two people who got laser surgery, didn't say anything and got in no bother.

• Advertisement
Advertisement