Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New landlord/ internet

Options
  • 29-12-2014 8:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭

I recently just purchased an apartment & now have tenants renting it. I received txt from them today saying they have been unable to set up broadband because the line is still active with a different provider but they can't say who. I know there was tenants renting the property before I bought it. How do I find out who the current provider is & do I need to provide them with any information myself?There is some upc boxes on the walls for the tv points.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

If there's UPC boxes on the wall, then that's probably a good starting point. I'd call UPC and find out if the service is indeed with them. They'll want the address to make sure.

A sticking point might be the fact you're not able to give the name of the previous customer, but I'm sure if you explain you've just bought it and so not able to provide the name, then that would be fine. You'll probably need to put this in writing and provide proof you're the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If its UPC just call and ask to set up a line. UPC will now set up 2 lines to the same address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sounds more like the eircom messing than UPC tbh. What other provider uses Upc boxes?

Contact previous tenants and ask what they used. I had to do this with places we moved into, via solicitor. Eircom switching ownership is particularly painful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 yerone

Sound like an Eircom line alright. If they have a landline phone just plug it into a socket and dial 19900 to find out the phone number and then 19800 to find out what provider the service is with. Then call the provider and they do all the contacting of the tenants to cancel it, obviously they can''t give you the account information due to DPA and if last tenants have debt on the line they're not likely to pay it off to cancel so that the new people can get service!

Advertisement