Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone tried Phenibut for improving social skills?

Options
  • 29-12-2014 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

So I recently heard about this stuff and started reading about it online. It seems to work wonders for many shy, introverted people like myself.

It's a legal nootropic that comes in powder form. Apparently you can just take a small dose a few hours before a social event and it greatly reduces your anxiety and makes you more talkative.

I'm normally way too reliant on alcohol when it comes to partying. I've tried MDMA a few times and much prefer it. It makes me able to dance, flirt, banter and all that without dumbing me down the way alcohol does. I'd love to take it every weekend instead of getting pissed but obviously, it has it's own risks and if you use it too often you build up a tolerance. So, I use it maybe once or twice a year.

I'm thinking of taking the phenibut just once a week before I go out and then just taking it easy with the beer. I'm very into fitness and sports so I try to limit my alcohol intake anyway.

While I was reading about phenibut, I also came across another two supposed ''alcohol alternatives''. These are Kava and Kratom. You can't buy them in the shops in Ireland but you can order them online. (Not sure about Kratom). Has anyone tried these?

I've tried marijuana but I'm not a big fan. It's a nice feeling but it doesn't improve my social skills at all. I definitely wouldn't smoke it for nights out anyway as it makes me feel very slow and lazy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Would recommend that you just drink till you reach that delightful and slightly delirious stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Kratom is an opiate and as such is addictive. Also I think it's easy to build a tolerance for phenibut if used regularly and become physically dependent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not approved for use in the US or Europe. Also loads of contraindications.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Robroy36

CM24 wrote: »
    So I recently heard about this stuff and started reading about it online. It seems to work wonders for many shy, introverted people like myself.

It's a legal nootropic that comes in powder form. Apparently you can just take a small dose a few hours before a social event and it greatly reduces your anxiety and makes you more talkative.

I'm normally way too reliant on alcohol when it comes to partying. I've tried MDMA a few times and much prefer it. It makes me able to dance, flirt, banter and all that without dumbing me down the way alcohol does. I'd love to take it every weekend instead of getting pissed but obviously, it has it's own risks and if you use it too often you build up a tolerance. So, I use it maybe once or twice a year.

I'm thinking of taking the phenibut just once a week before I go out and then just taking it easy with the beer. I'm very into fitness and sports so I try to limit my alcohol intake anyway.

While I was reading about phenibut, I also came across another two supposed ''alcohol alternatives''. These are Kava and Kratom. You can't buy them in the shops in Ireland but you can order them online. (Not sure about Kratom). Has anyone tried these?

I've tried marijuana but I'm not a big fan. It's a nice feeling but it doesn't improve my social skills at all. I definitely wouldn't smoke it for nights out anyway as it makes me feel very slow and lazy.

Is this a genuine question?

If you are so socially inept that you need to take a range of psychotropics to engage with others you should look into some form of counselling or professional help to fix the underlying problem. At best the drugs you have listed will provide a tempory fix while exposing you to a myriad of risks that far outweigh any potential benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

A bit of the old cocaine should do the trick.

In all honesty though, there's no substitute for trying and failing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Robroy36 wrote: »
    Is this a genuine question?

If you are so socially inept that you need to take a range of psychotropics to engage with others you should look into some form of counselling or professional help to fix the underlying problem. At best the drugs you have listed will provide a tempory fix while exposing you to a myriad of risks that far outweigh any potential benefits.

Consumption of chemicals to enhance social experience is part of our culture. So much so that many regard abstainers to be a bit strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I suggest you try non-chemical solutions to your problem until otherwise advised by a professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It sounds very similar to Pregabalin/Lyrica (usually prescribed for neuropathic pain and seizures, but also various anxiety disorders). I was prescribed Pregabalin for a while, for anxiety, but developed a tolerance to it very quickly. I've heard that tolerance is a huge problem with Phenibut too - before you know it, you might find yourself taking more and more of it, just to get the same effect as before.

I know this is the boring answer, but you might be better off just seeing a doctor. They'll be able to refer you to someone who can help in the long-term. Phenibut sounds like a very short-term solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

the name comes from "Penis in butt"?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Medical advice is against the forum rules.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement