Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I become unemployed can I qualify for Job Seekers Allowance?

Options
  • 29-12-2014 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

In September I began receiving Back to Education Allowance but signed off after a few weeks when I left my course as I got a really good job offer. So far, the job has been going great, but I was told that January is always a slow month and they usually lay people off until things pick up around February/March then I will be offered a 12 month contract.

I'm looking for other work just in case, but if I don't get any work next week I may need to make a claim for jobseekers, but I'm wondering will they need any documentation from my old college to confirm I am no longer there? As I was at a higher education institute, I won't be able to get any documentation from the college until I pay the fees, which I can't really afford.

Will social welfare only look for documentation from my job, or will they still want a letter from college?

I'm feeling very down about possibly losing my job, and the thoughts of having no income is scaring me, even if it is only €188 for the time being.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Your P45 will sort out the job/collage issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Why would they offer you a twelve month contract in march? What happens next January?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

mp22 wrote: »

I think may rather than will applies here. I'd certainly advise trying to obtain something that confirms you're no longer at college.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Vi Peterson

mp22 wrote: »

Oh I hope so, I'm having such an ordeal worrying about it.

Advertisement