Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch or something else?

Options
  • 29-12-2014 7:09pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    The missus MK3 Clio has started acting up weirdly. The OH said she noticed the car power seemed down. I checked the oil and noticed a lovely mayonaisse type residue on the cap and in the filler. Engine temps and grand, and coolant level is normal. I did an oil change today and took it for a quick spin.

I noticed that if you try accelerate over 2.5K revs, they fly up and then drop down to normal. I went up a steep hill in 3rd to check, and again, the revs went up and the car slowed down, until the revs dropped back and caught the engine as normal.

So, my wondering is, is it the clutch, or something worse, due to the residue in the oil? (I'm hoping its just condensation).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Johnny K

Sounds like the clutch.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Would the residue in the oil be related? I thought it was gasket issue at first!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The residue is just condensation. It's nornal. Especially at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

sounds like clutch , does the clutch pedal engage very easy or is it stiff ?

tomorrow put the car in a high gear 4th or 5th , low MPH and floor it , if the revs shoot up and the car doesnt pull like it should its not good ,

or
    at stationary start with putting it in 3rd gear and try to pull away. If the car stalls = sign of good clutch. If it moves = clutch slipping.

keep an eye on the coolant aswell with the milky oil cap , head gasket was my first taught but it could be just condensation like said above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

have you fallen victim to Petrol stretching??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

berger89 wrote: »
    have you fallen victim to Petrol stretching??

Can this lead to a non linear relationship between engine speeds and wheel speeds?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Put it in a high gear and floored it, revs went out, dropped back and then started moving OK.

Also trid this in 2nd, revs shot all the way up to 5k, car was still accelerating, revs dropped back to 2k, shot up again, car still accelerating, dropped back, then went to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Clutch. Another check you can do is when stationary with handbrake up Rev it to 3000 rpm and in 2 nd gear let out clutch and if engine doesn't stall clutch is worn out, make sure there's nothing parked in front !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

Can this lead to a non linear relationship between engine speeds and wheel speeds?

At first I was half taking the piss, but when I read into it, that petrol stretching malark causes issues such as loss of power and trouble with pistons. Cars with smaller petrol engines have been affected.
    Just saying.

Now, I'll leave you boys to your toys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Bigus wrote: »
    Clutch. Another check you can do is when stationary with handbrake up Rev it to 3000 rpm and in 2 nd gear let out clutch and if engine doesn't stall clutch is worn out, make sure there's nothing parked in front !

Definitely sounds like your clutch is already pretty worn.
    If u need the car to limp along for another little while I wouldn't be doing the above or flooring it in high gears trying to get it to slip... This will only wear the last bit of meat that's left and leave you needing a tow to a garage.
    It could also lead to scoring the flywheel which will push the bill up.
    Instead drive it easy.. Accelerating gently avoiding hills where feasible and get it to your mechanic.
    Marty.

Advertisement