Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday

Options
  • 29-12-2014 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

Opening Batsman's form figures may not inspire the utmost of confidence, but he was a high class chaser and won the Racing Post Chase in February of 2013 off a mark of 140. He hasn't been anywhere as good since, but he has hinted at a return to form lately. He ran much more encouraging than his 70 length beating implies in the bet365 Gold Cup last back-end, jumping well and leading them along but possibly did too much in front (traded 9/2 from a BSP of 43) off a mark of 140, and it was a similar story when running well for a long way when 7th in the race where the Young Master was disqualified (went in since). That was off a mark of 136, he looked set to cash in next time out but ran really poorly, never really looking happy and weakening having being backed off the boards (13/2 into 11/4).

He runs tomorrow off a mark of 129 in what is another drop in class. I'd expect front running tactics to be re-adapted in this small field. If anywhere near his old self he would pick these up and carry them around. Thought this was more of an 11/4 shot so gladly had a fair bet at 9/2. 3.30 Taunton

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭rossom

One for me tomorrow in the shape of 4.00 Taunton After Eight Sivola 7/1. This 4 year old half brother to Reve De Sivola shaped well on his handicap debut off an 11lb mark 2 starts back and upped to 19.5f for the first time in testing conditions should definitely see him in a better light. Trainer Nick Williams is in blinding form and has a great 6-19 record at the track whilst his daughter Lizzie Kelly takes off an incredibly valuable 6lb in this conditional jockeys race. If settling I think he has the potential to rout this field.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

That's an ew double above if ever I've seen one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭BQQ

Expensive Taste caught my eye in the 12:50 at Lingfield.

Scored for Andy Oliver at the Galway festival back in July from subsequent winner botanical lady off a rating of 70.

2 bad runs for new yard over the water and they've squeezed him into a 0-65 h'cap.
    Adam Kirby rides for the first time and they throw a visor on him to explain the improvement to the stewards ;)

They might want to get him a bit lower still, but @7/1 he looks good value in such a bad race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Opening Batsman is risky but positive tactics is what I was hoping for, Harry Fry says:

''There's no definite decision on Opening Batsman tomorrow yet but he'll probably run. He's come down another few pounds after he didn't try a yard at Ludlow last time. Hopefully the right-handed two-mile-seven will suit him if we do decide to run. We'll use positive tactics again and hopefully he'll travel and jump. It depends on which Opening Batsman turns up - the most recent one we wouldn't trust an ounce. He retains all the ability at home but, I keep saying it, we haven't seen it on the racecourse. One day, we'll have dropped so far in the weights he'll go in and win and make it look easy and we'll wonder what on earth's been going on but that's horses.''

Could be a good back to lay opportunity. Sky Bet a stand out 5/1. Back it at 5/1 and leave a lay in running around the 2/1 or 6/4 mark me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

1.00 Tauton
    Marias Choice

I feel this one still has a bit in hand (rated as high as 84 on the flat, off 99 tomorrow), came up against one too good LTO (that winner ran Stephens day and was 4th of 5 in a Class 3 beaten 15L's rated 105, horse in 3rd 3L's in-front was rated 115) when well supported but was 15L's clear of the 3rd in his handicap debut. Have taken the 2/1 with BV. I see Powers have suspended betting on him since and won't even offer SP so something up. AP takes the ride again tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Go easy on After Eight lads. By potential to rout the field I mean he's potentially very well in when taking into account his half brother, ground, trip and handicap mark. He could very easily just be ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Where are you seeing heavy ground rossom, I'm seeing soft good to soft in places everywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Bangor Billy gave us word a while back for theatre queen when she won at stratford. Would be good to know his thoughts for those interested in the opening batsman race. Where art thou Billy?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Pirate Cove runs in a 1mile 4 handicap at Lingfield today (2.50pm).

This Lawman filly was running for Dermot Weld until quite recently (and has a respectable 2nd at Dundalk behind Six Silver Lane last year) . First run for Mark Jonston today. John Egan takes the ride. 7's this morning. Now low as 4's.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭oPATCHo

BumperD wrote: »
    Bangor Billy gave us word a while back for theatre queen when she won at stratford. Would be good to know his thoughts for those interested in the opening batsman race. Where art thou Billy?!

Just watching some of her previous races. Opening Batsman is a NR now... so looking to see whether I can find the winner.

Not sure what to take on this mare :confused:

I think she needs further. Think Rally could sneak a place here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Opening Batsman is risky but positive tactics is what I was hoping for, Harry Fry says:

''There's no definite decision on Opening Batsman tomorrow yet but he'll probably run. He's come down another few pounds after he didn't try a yard at Ludlow last time. Hopefully the right-handed two-mile-seven will suit him if we do decide to run. We'll use positive tactics again and hopefully he'll travel and jump. It depends on which Opening Batsman turns up - the most recent one we wouldn't trust an ounce. He retains all the ability at home but, I keep saying it, we haven't seen it on the racecourse. One day, we'll have dropped so far in the weights he'll go in and win and make it look easy and we'll wonder what on earth's been going on but that's horses.''

Could be a good back to lay opportunity. Sky Bet a stand out 5/1. Back it at 5/1 and leave a lay in running around the 2/1 or 6/4 mark me thinks

Non runner according to powers

THE BLUE DOG has popped up in my tracker, this horse took my noticed earlier on in the year when winning 3 on the bounce. He's dropped down 64 - only two 2lbs higher when finishing in this race last year. He then went on to win three times including a CD.

He ran like a dog last year when returning back from a break, seems like he needed a few runs with best performances coming in Jan (3 wins out of 5 starts), Feb (2 wins and 3 places out of 7 starts) and March (2 wins and 3 places out of 6 starts).

Would have been nice to see a claimer back on this horse, however I think at the 14/1 he could be decent E/W play today

• Registered Users Posts: 16,406 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Charlie Swan doesn't send too many horses to ride over the flat in England, but he has one today in Shorana. Beaten by a half length from Diylawa last time out at Leopardstown, that kind of form would suggest that this horse just has far too much class for a class 5 race at Lingfield. 11/10 short enough, but the real price is surely shorter than that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭hawkeyethenoo

Charlie Swan doesn't send too many horses to ride over the flat in England, but he has one today in Shorana. Beaten by a half length from Diylawa last time out at Leopardstown, that kind of form would suggest that this horse just has far too much class for a class 5 race at Lingfield. 11/10 short enough, but the real price is surely shorter than that again.

beaten at 5/6

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭hawkeyethenoo

backed top set at 7s in the 3.20 at lingfield, will be winning off this mark. ran well on its only other start at lingfield staying on really well for 3rd off this mark, extra 2 furlongs will suit.

oPATCHo wrote: »
    THE BLUE DOG has popped up in my tracker, this horse took my noticed earlier on in the year when winning 3 on the bounce. He's dropped down 64 - only two 2lbs higher when finishing in this race last year. He then went on to win three times including a CD.

He ran like a dog last year when returning back from a break, seems like he needed a few runs with best performances coming in Jan (3 wins out of 5 starts), Feb (2 wins and 3 places out of 7 starts) and March (2 wins and 3 places out of 6 starts).

Would have been nice to see a claimer back on this horse, however I think at the 14/1 he could be decent E/W play today

Pushed out to over 40's on the exchanges... has he arrived with only 3 legs today?

4 places pays 4/1 now. Will have a nibble on that just in case he does show up, but every one to keep an eye over in Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

oPATCHo wrote: »
    Pushed out to over 40's on the exchanges... has he arrived with only 3 legs today?

4 places pays 4/1 now. Will have a nibble on that just in case he does show up, but every one to keep an eye over in Jan

Must have had 3 legs, pulled up before home turn, favourite hacks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭hawkhead

Angelina Ballerina 3-20 Lingfield catches the eye having its first run for a new trainer and Kirby booked

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

rossom wrote: »
    One for me tomorrow in the shape of 4.00 Taunton After Eight Sivola 7/1. This 4 year old half brother to Reve De Sivola shaped well on his handicap debut off an 11lb mark 2 starts back and upped to 19.5f for the first time in testing conditions should definitely see him in a better light. Trainer Nick Williams is in blinding form and has a great 6-19 record at the track whilst his daughter Lizzie Kelly takes off an incredibly valuable 6lb in this conditional jockeys race. If settling I think he has the potential to rout this field.

Good Call.

Right on the line.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Great call but don't all us backers feel so lucky after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

fav threw that away but who cares :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭dicky dunne

the luck i've had this Christmas that's a welcome turn of fortune.....cheers Rossom, top notch as always

I've been due something like that for a while! Defo best horse in race but definitely got lucky as wasn't getting there if fav didn't chuck it away. Still pays the same either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

I've been due something like that for a while! Defo best horse in race but definitely got lucky as wasn't getting there if fav didn't chuck it away. Still pays the same either way!

Fair Play Rossom - Great Call

Great stuff, that saved my day!

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭langer91

Cheers Rossom keep em coming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭sdoc13

Great call rossom. Thanks.

Advertisement