Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a parents house

Options
  • 29-12-2014 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

Hi, I don't have a lot of information so just looking for a general answer.

My friends parents own two houses next door to each other, renting one out and living in the other. The tenants moved out of their rental and now my friend (their daughter) is looking to move in to it. She is a student on BTEA, as is her partner. Can she get rent allowance for a house she's renting from her parents? She rents elsewhere at the moment, she is not moving from the parents house into the rental, if that makes a difference.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

In general, no.

Does she have a housing need - social housing applicant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Renting from a parent: You cannot get Rent Supplement to help you pay rent to your parent if you are living in the family home. If your parent owns a second property, you will generally not get Rent Supplement for this this property unless you can prove that you are a genuine (bona fide) tenant

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

She's a tenant looking for a house and a house is available but they have to have review it or there would be scams within families

It's unlikely but she should apply and they will review it and make a decision. The fact that she is a tenant elsewhere should help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I agree, everything PRTB, Revenue, NPPR etc above board. Worth applying though if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

snubbleste wrote: »
    In general, no.

Does she have a housing need - social housing applicant?

She's living with her partner in her dads home, they have to move out in the next month or so though. They pay rent and bills, he's practically their landlord but I doubt the SW will see it that way as he is a parent so they don't see them as landlords. That will count against them too I imagine. I figured it was a long shot anyways! Thanks for the answers :)

Advertisement