Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller secures Degree from Trinity

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Well done to her. Fantastic news.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Fair play to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Fair play to her but whats the big deal? She is certainly not the first traveller to have gotten a degree

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Fantastic stuff as far as I concerned.

Completely agree with you. Fair play to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Well done to her! Brains and beauty - the world is her oyster now and rightly so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Well done to her but don't see why its a big deals she's not the first traveller to get a degree and certainly won't be the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

That is fantastic. She is a credit to her family who I'm sure supported her. It's a big deal because all too often Travellers, particularly Traveller women, are discouraged from education. I would imagine she has had to deal with some negativity from members of the community.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Why is this news? There's never been any law against travellers going to uni and they have more educational opportunities handed to them by the state than the average pupil in truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Why is this news? There's never been any law against travellers going to uni and they have more educational opportunities handed to them by the state than the average pupil in truth.

The opportunities are there but they aren't taken up because there is not much support at home where it matters most.

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    Fair play to her but whats the big deal? She is certainly not the first traveller to have gotten a degree

And not from Trinity either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Arts graduate fails to get a job and must emigrate

It's a bad news article tbh if that's what is facing graduates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Will she get a job now and pay some tax like the rest of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,066 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

WhiteWalls wrote: »

She's the first one with a public persona apparently. I guess it's making the news because there isn't much in the way of role models for young female travelers. It's a nice change from the yokes you see on Gypsy Weddings etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Whats the big deal? Person gets a degree?

Just because she is a traveler and a 'beauty queen' means **** all. Not all travelers are the same, many are normal people just like us.

I didnt get a headline when I finished college.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Im delighted for her, hope she had great luck in the future. I imagine it would have been harder for her to fit in as Trinity is still full of the stuck-up little sons and daughters of the local solicitors, accountants etc and as such have zero experience whatsoever of struggle or budget and a lot of the little darlings have the manners of a bulldog. I say fair play to her for coming through such a (still) stuck-up institution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Is everyone else getting a story on the right-hand side of the Indo article with the headline "She said Yes! Irishman shocks American girlfriend by going down"?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I think the point is that she went to trinity, getting a degree from Trinity is different to getting one from Tralee IT, where a lot of travellers are educated.

Many people try to get in to Trinity and fail. The fact that she has applied herself to her studies so well and earned a place there against the norms of her community, mean she deserves recognition for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Im delighted for her, hope she had great luck in the future. I imagine it would have been harder for her to fit in as Trinity is still full of the stuck-up little sons and daughters of the local solicitors, accountants etc and as such have zero experience whatsoever of struggle or budget and a lot of the little darlings have the manners of a bulldog. I say fair play to her for coming through such a (still) stuck-up institution.

Oh dear...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

PLL wrote: »
    I think the point is that she went to trinity, getting a degree from Trinity is different to getting one from Tralee IT, where a lot of travellers are educated.

Whiff of elitism about this post

• Registered Users Posts: 34 thedooner

Pecker Dunne's daughter! well done her.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Did the family have a punch up at the ceremony?

Macavity. wrote: »
    Oh dear...

Im speaking from experience. I did a 2 year course there a few years ago, in fact in the depth of the recession, and bar one or two people who didnt come from wealthy backgrounds, the rest of the students couldnt even imagine a world where Daddy wouldnt top their iphones up by 100 a week, let them use the second car and of course pay every one of their fees, theres still a huge amount of snobbery and looking down their noses at people up there. Fantastic college, but too many snobs. You would think the way the country has gone the last few years that would have been reduced a lot but nope, its alive and well up there...

Trinity is still full of the stuck-up little sons and daughters of the local solicitors, accountants etc and as such have zero experience whatsoever of struggle or budget and a lot of the little darlings have the manners of a bulldog.
    Last time I checked they let in anybody who gets the points and pays their fees. Terribly poor show I know.
    Couldn't get in yourself or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Nice bit of snobbery there yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Any traveller can graduate with a degree. The news shouldn't be the fact that she got her degree. The news should be that she broke the bonds of tradition and expectation within the traveller community.

I know a traveller family whose daughter is at that age where she has to decide what she is going to do. She has told her parents that she doesn't want to go to college and wants to settle down. This is peer pressure put on her by her traveller friends and relations who are going to get married young and have kids. Her parents told her that this is not what they want for her. They want her to pursue a third level education.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Last time I checked they let in anybody who gets the points and pays their fees. Terribly poor show I know.
    Couldn't get in yourself or what?

I did get in on merit and as i mentioned i passed a 2 year course. The facilities, the materials and the lecturers are all top notch, shame its still so filled with insufferable entitled snobs. I was genuinely surprised by that given that so much of the country have suffered in some way from the recession. You live and learn...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

You would swear she was the only good looking young woman in the country with an Arts degree going by some of the OTT reactions so far on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭alistair spuds

If we could only persuade the travellors intent on scumbaggery to get some education instead, like this girl has done, their 'culture' might get some more respect.

I did get in on merit and as i mentioned i passed a 2 year course. The facilities, the materials and the lecturers are all top notch, shame its still so filled with insufferable entitled snobs. I was genuinely surprised by that given that so much of the country have suffered in some way from the recession. You live and learn...
    So tell us then why anybody with the points can't go to TCD then.
    Is there a secret cash bidding round for places?

BTW: what degree did you get in 2 years that was dependent on your leaving cert?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

That's the thing. So much off the country didn't suffer during the recession.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement