Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Defender paint job cost?

Options
  • 29-12-2014 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

hello. anyone got a clue as to how much i would be looking at to get a defender 110 re sprayed, from white to green/or brown.
    cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

How long is a piece of string!

50 quid if you are Edd China; 5k if you want it done to perfection!

Best bringing it to a few local companies and getting a quote....if you post your rough location, someone might be able to point you in the direction of a recommended sprayer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭jaysblades

ok fair point. im in carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

jaysblades wrote: »

How much of the prep work would you be willing to do yourself?

as much as i could. unfornatually i have zero experience in this, and i have no clue as to costs ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

John Corcoran does excellent work. He's based beside the nct centre on the O'Brien road. Can't recommend him highly enough. I've had a couple of cars worked on by him but never a full re-spray

• Advertisement

worth checking out. thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

I had John corcoran do a few jobs for me. He is probably a bit expensive but it's worth the few extra euros. Are you restoring the 110?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Neilw

I doubt a painter would like a novice doing prep work on a car they are going to paint, how would they know the quality of work done or products used?

If they paint a car and it reacts due to poor quality prep or bad products who pays to fix it?

You could strip all the trim and parts off the car like I've done for mine but there is now way I would be doing any bodywork or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

It's a Defender lads, how much is a tin of paint in woodies nowadays?

I supplied a new Defender early this year, and up close, the paint finish is shocking for a new car. Now looks much better with the wood panel wrap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

R.O.R wrote: »
    It's a Defender lads, how much is a tin of paint in woodies

Indeed, don't you just paint em the same time you're doing the barn next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,289 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Will the aluminium body present a problem? May put some body shops off and push the price up for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭kirving

Best to remove the bits you can, leave the paint prep to the painter.

Was in two new (132,141) BMW's a few weeks ago and both looked as though they were painted by a 5 year old. Whats the story with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Best to remove the bits you can, leave the paint prep to the painter.

Was in two new (132,141) BMW's a few weeks ago and both looked as though they were painted by a 5 year old. Whats the story with that?
    Were you in limerick? I've seen some work by one outfit who do touchup work for local bmw dealers. I'll say no more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

hello. anyone got a clue as to how much i would be looking at to get a defender 110 re sprayed, from white to green/or brown.
    cheers.

Can't believe no-one's picked up on that.
    Color change is so much more work than a respray, you have to repaint every bit, including engine bay and door jambs, you are doubling the cost and tripling your work load.
    Normal respray is just body panels, but color change, you would have to nearly strip the car of absolutely everything, the engine bay alone would give me the screaming heeby-jeebies just thinking about it, unless you don't mind if the old color still is visible in some corners.

yea, fair enough. i think ill be leaving it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭kirving

Were you in limerick? I've seen some work by one outfit who do touchup work for local bmw dealers. I'll say no more.

I don't think so, no. Considering I've done the BMW factory tour, and seen how the brush the cars with ostrich feathers before painting, I was really surprised at the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

I don't think so, no. Considering I've done the BMW factory tour, and seen how the brush the cars with ostrich feathers before painting, I was really surprised at the quality.

The problem is not with the prept, the pain will be well attached, hard and not have any debris in it. The issue is they don't wet sand and re-polish the cars once painted so the finish from the gun is the finish you get, and with modern water based paints getting a good gun finish that dries quickly and is consistent is a challenge.
    Although I agree they have the worst orange peel of any marque I have seen up close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Defenders have huge areas of exposed paintwork internally but external repaints over a white base are quite common. Aluminium is only a problem if bare metal, post 05 ones have steel skinned doors anyway. The only way to fully change the colour of a Defender is to totally dismantle the body.

I've seen older ones rejuvenated with tractor enamel roller painted on quite sucessfully, it's a utility vehicle with barely a straight panel on it, have a good look at a mica-mettalic one and every panel will be rippled!.

My 00 110 is badly in need of a repaint once I've treated the bi-mettalic corrosion and replaced the rotten doors :rolleyes: Probably going to get a blow over in NATO matt green, hides a multitude of sins!

Advertisement