Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What makes sense in this situation

Options
  • 29-12-2014 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hey all,

First off, I'm clueless about cars, mileage etc.

Now, I have an 08 318i 1995 petrol. I make repayments each month which were fine, but things have changed - I'm using the car A LOT more now due to working circumstances and now travel about 400km per week.

So in petrol it's costing a lot. Toll charges and repayments 340 per month. I only have one year left in repayments though, but...

I'd rather put the money other use - such as living arrangements and to be able to save more.

Should I:
    A) Trade it in and get a cheaper car?
    (i) If so, are cars with mileage over 100,000m even worth it for example? Will I end up spending more in maintenance?

B) See out the loan for another year.

Any advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

See it out IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭AnimalChin

Cheers Colm.

With the 318 - it's never given me any problems at all so it seems quite reliable. I've been told (by no reputable sources, more so from others with experience) that BMW's are less reliable as they age?

I'd be looking for this car to serve me for the next 4 years or so at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Every car gets less reliable with age. Its important not to scrimp on maintenance and to find a good independent garage to keep on top of things for you.

You'll spend many thousands getting into a 3xxd, which could also be a potential ticking timebomb.

400km isn't massive mileage to be fair. 240 miles-ish

Cheers. I guess it makes sense to see it out alright. I just needed to hear it from someone with more knowledge/experience of cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Spipov

AnimalChin wrote: »
    Hey all,

First off, I'm clueless about cars, mileage etc.

Now, I have an 08 318i 1995 petrol. I make repayments each month which were fine, but things have changed - I'm using the car A LOT more now due to working circumstances and now travel about 400km per week.

So in petrol it's costing a lot. Toll charges and repayments 340 per month. I only have one year left in repayments though, but...

I'd rather put the money other use - such as living arrangements and to be able to save more.

Should I:
    A) Trade it in and get a cheaper car?
    (i) If so, are cars with mileage over 100,000m even worth it for example? Will I end up spending more in maintenance?

B) See out the loan for another year.

Any advice much appreciated!

400km per week isnt that much. see it out, you know the car, you've looked after the car. you could be buying a ticking time bomb without realising and regret something you knew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Keep your tyre pressures correct or on the high side of correct and remove any excess weight from the boot. 318 are efficient petrols on a run. And +1 yes keep it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

See it out, OP. The biggest problem with that model of car was coil packs. Apart from that it should be OK. Every car costs money to maintain and don't think any car is faultless.

See it out, OP. The biggest problem with that model of car was coil packs. Apart from that it should be OK. Every car costs money to maintain and don't think any car is faultless.

Cheers. I actually think I had those replaced a couple of years ago. I had to Google what they were the symptoms! :o

Advertisement