Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<SNIP> Sale Beware

Options
  • 29-12-2014 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Beware!

i bought a shirt from <SNIP> on Sunday. At the time of purchase both changing boots were full so bought the item without trying it on, it was half price after all!

Today i brought the shirt back to the shop for exchange - I couldn't believe it when the manager refused to swap the shirt! They've a no return policy on sale items. Shop has poor customer service. I wasn't looking for a refund!

What consumer rights do i have?
    Do they have right to refuse an exchange?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

epo addict wrote: »
    What are my consumer rights? Do they have the right to refuse an exchange?
    Yes, they are under no obligation to exchange any item due to you changing your mind.
    There is nothing wrong with the item, its your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Yes, they are under no obligation to exchange any item due to you changing your mind.
    There is nothing wrong with the item, its your problem.

Really? Maybe I'm assuming wrongly as the OP couldn't try the shirt on that it's the wrong size and was just looking for another one. That's not really the same as changing your mind. If that's the case then i think it's poor form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

The changing rooms were available for use but occupied and the OP chose not to wait for one to become vacant. The shop are within their rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

In a lot of places sale items are final sale, no return or exchange. They are on sale because it's stock the shop wants to get rid of so they are not gonna be happy to take it back

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

emeldc wrote: »
    Really? Maybe I'm assuming wrongly as the OP couldn't try the shirt on that it's the wrong size and was just looking for another one. That's not really the same as changing your mind. If that's the case then i think it's poor form.
    The OP edited their post, originally they said they didn't like the material and colour, not that the size was wrong.
    Sale of goods act only applies if the item is faulty not because the item is bought in a rush and then buyers remorse kicks in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As already stated by others, shop in no way have to accept this item back

This is something most business studies teachers in secondary drill into students when they cover consumer law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The OP edited their post, originally they said they didn't like the material and colour, not that the size was wrong.
    Sale of goods act only applies if the item is faulty not because the item is bought in a rush and then buyers remorse kicks in.

Fair enough, didn't see that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

You have no rights. Not much help to you now but always check the return terms when buying a sale/reduced or discount item as the refund policy is often different than a full price item.

At the end of the day this transaction falls under the change of mind category and the shop does not have to do anything for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,034 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I have drilled this into the mind of my wife.. she now only shops at retailers where their customer service is such that they accept goods back for change of mind (some will only issue a credit note for sale items which is fine by me)

Advertisement