Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"Immobilizer active" message on Ford Mondeo

Options
  • 29-12-2014 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi All,

I was hoping for some advice regarding my 08 Ford Mondeo 1.8L which will not start.

It was fine yesterday however this morning it would not start and the lights on dash were not coming on when the key was in. The battery is flat even though there's never been any issues with the battery before - would the cold weather have caused it to go flat overnight?

Anyway I connected up a set of jump leads and that did no good at all. The dash is now lighting up and there is a message saying "Immobilizer active".

Does anyone have any experience with this? What does this message mean and how can it be fixed?

Thanks for any advice in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Sounds like a fried battery and now the computer has kicked in to prevent further damage.

You'll have to get it to ford or an independent with the right software to do a reset and replace battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cold weather kills batteries.

I would connect up jump leads and leave on for a good while (10-15 mins)then try again, its probably just because the battery is so flat. (Unqualified opinion but my jag was in a similar position and that worked)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Cold weather kills batteries.

I would connect up jump leads and leave on for a good while (10-15 mins)then try again, its probably just because the battery is so flat. (Unqualified opinion but my jag was in a similar position and that worked)

Funny you say that, just after posting I recall someone successfully starting their car by putting it on a battery charge for 30 minutes then locking and unlocking car. The car then started, if this fails ford have to do the reset.

Worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

Thanks for the replies. No luck so far. It's funny I left alone for around a half an hour and went back to it when the engine tried to start. But after that the Immobilizer must have kicked in again. Kind of strange that the engine almost started that once time - not sure what that means?

Have you connected it to jump leads or what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

Yes they were connected for 20 minutes, but they there was no life in it with them whatsoever. The I disconnected it, left it alone for half an hour and when I went back, it nearly started! Not sure how that can be explained?

If you could get a battery charger and leave it on for a few hours id say it should work. Considering she gave it a shot after half an hour.

I'd imagine the battery is fecked anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 gud

similar thing happened my 2008 Ford mondeo. in the end had the battery replaced but imobiliser message still appeared and wud not start after ecu reset. ended up being a fault between in wiring between ecu,s after 2 days of trying to locate faulty wiring, my mechanic just put a new wire by passing the fault and it has been fine since. 9 months now. hope tour problem is simplar to fix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

I seen this problem before id say your bcmii/fusebox needs to be reinitialised. Try leaving the jumpleads on again for a while to charge the battery have the doner car running after about twenty minutes try it again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement