Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Recommendation

Options
  • 29-12-2014 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking to buy a car around the 10K mark, my mileage is as follows:
    130 miles/week (start stop driving in city) into work
    100 miles maybe once a month (country road)

i was looking at mazda6 petrol, i have seen recommendations to stay away from Diesel and to check them for rust. Anyone have any feedback on them.
    Not a big car enthusiast, really just like something that's reliable and looks half decent.
    Any recommendations are appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Given those criteria I'd probably get a petrol 6 too.
    A 1.6 Valvematic Avensis (new model) might fit the bill too. You'll just about get an 09 within budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

what would be reasonable mileage on a 09?

100,000?

There are other factors as well like the type of driving done - but that would be 20km a year which would be below average. Anyone buying a new petrol over a similarly priced diesel in 2009 should have had a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

thanks, why is petrol recommended for lower mileages, is it diesel engines are not as easy to maintain and the benefit is seen at higher mileage usage.
    was also looking at honda accord but they seem to have very big engines all over 2L

The common belief is that anyone doing small mileage and short journeys might encourage issues with the diesel particle filter. Also diesels are less efficient when cold and take longer to heat up than petrols. There is always going to be a bit more risk buying a turbocharged car, if you're not doing enough mileage to make significant savings then its not worth the risk.

Accord petrol would be 2.0 usually. Tax on an 09 would be €750. Which is a lot, relatively.

• Advertisement
Advertisement