Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus 'sales'

Options
  • 29-12-2014 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

January sale has just started at Aer Lingus and the price of the flight I was looking at has corresponding increased by more than €50. It comes up time and time again in bargain alerts that these sales are false, yet the company gets away with it.

Is there no sort of legislation to prevent the company form calling a sale when it's nothing of the sort,

Fortunately I bought my ticket last week, anticipating the January 'sale'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Tazz T wrote: »
    January sale has just started at Aer Lingus and the price of the flight I was looking at has corresponding increased by more than €50. It comes up time and time again in bargain alerts that these sales are false, yet the company gets away with it.

Is there no sort of legislation to prevent the company form calling a sale when it's nothing of the sort,

Fortunately I bought my ticket last week, anticipating the January 'sale'.

On the other side, I've been looking at booking 6 flights once per month up until May.

They had a sale in December, saved me 40 euros per flight, actually I could have saved a bit more if I waited 2 days since I had booked the first flight already, luckily I couldn't be arsed looking at flights anymore and left it until I went back to book 2 more flights 2 days later :)

Now booked one 26th of March and Returning 1st of April (Cork - Amsterdam)

Before Christmas it was coming up at 158 euros as the dates were outside the dates for its December sale, bought it 2 days ago for 101.99

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CountingClocks

I avoid their 'sales' and generally manage to get a better price, rarely pay from than EUR100 or EUR110 to fly to Amsterdam which is as good as any sale price they advertise.

I avoid their 'sales' and generally manage to get a better price, rarely pay from than EUR100 or EUR110 to fly to Amsterdam which is as good as any sale price they advertise.

8th Feb - 13th of Feb for example is 93 euros return

I paid 123 euros in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CountingClocks

8th Feb - 13th of Feb for example is 93 euros return

I paid 123 euros in November.

I'm going in April and I paid 93 euros, was there a couple of weeks ago and that cost 106 euros. So I generally don't hang on for the sales, sometimes the sale price is higher than those rates.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

With any flights, "hanging on" is likely to result in more seats being sold and hence higher prices for the remaining seats. A sale that only takes a small amount off means you get situations like this.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    With any flights, "hanging on" is likely to result in more seats being sold and hence higher prices for the remaining seats. A sale that only takes a small amount off means you get situations like this.

Exactly, the seat price increases with demand, the sale reduces the price and then it goes back up to price prior to the sale.

Advertisement