Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wobbly steering

Options
  • 29-12-2014 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭

Right folks, I've a 2000 reg Avensis 2.0TD in for an MOT retest this evening. Original failure was due to rust and grease around the driveshafts

At first I thought I'd thrown a weight from the front wheels as there was a wobble in the steering wheel. Today I drove it again on smoother roads and noticed a pull left and right through the steering from above 30mph. It gets worse as the speed increases. It's feels lumpy when turning while you drive. Can't see a buckle on the wheels, tyres look fine too.

Is there likely to be more than an unbalanced wheel going on? I do know that before its first MOT I was told I was lucky not to fail on the steering rack as it was gone loose due to wear and tear (not actually physically loose)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Right folks, I've a 2000 reg Avensis 2.0TD in for an MOT retest this evening. Original failure was due to rust and grease around the driveshafts

At first I thought I'd thrown a weight from the front wheels as there was a wobble in the steering wheel. Today I drove it again on smoother roads and noticed a pull left and right through the steering from above 30mph. It gets worse as the speed increases. It's feels lumpy when turning while you drive. Can't see a buckle on the wheels, tyres look fine too.

Is there likely to be more than an unbalanced wheel going on? I do know that before its first MOT I was told I was lucky not to fail on the steering rack as it was gone loose due to wear and tear (not actually physically loose)
    Check the wheelnuts.
    The steering column can get loose due to the grease in the spline drying out.
    Undo the steering column and repack with fresh grease and it should go away.
    Balljoints on the end of the steering arm may be worn.
    Other than that take it in and the NCT should highlight any new faults that may have developed in the time since the last test.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Check the wheelnuts.
    The steering column can get loose due to the grease in the spline drying out.
    Undo the steering column and repack with fresh grease and it should go away.
    Balljoints on the end of the steering arm may be worn.
    Other than that take it in and the NCT should highlight any new faults that may have developed in the time since the last test.
    It's up north and going for an MOT retest. It's my finacée's car.

I'm worried if it's a full retest that it'll fail on this now. I'm more familiar with the NCT myself but I've never had a car that failed on so much before so I don't know if the MOT just checks the failure or if it's a full retest.

It's up north and going for an MOT retest. It's my finacée's car.

I'm worried if it's a full retest that it'll fail on this now. I'm more familiar with the NCT myself but I've never had a car that failed on so much before so I don't know if the MOT just checks the failure or if it's a full retest.
    It might but surely it would be better to have the test highlight a steering failure? MOT is in a test centre in the North just like the NCT.

Doesn't matter now. I crashed it at lunch time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Because of bad steering ?

Ba dum tsk:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Unlucky sir once you and hopefully everyone else are OK that's the most important thing anything else can be fixed.

End to one year and start soon to another

Thats not good, is it repairable? is everyone OK?

All ok. Lost control on black ice on a bridge and spun out. Bent a lot of the bars and shock in the rear suspension. Wheel is fevked to. My back is sore too but there Ya go

Advertisement