Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martial Arts(weaponry focus) on Maynooth/Kildare

Options
  • 29-12-2014 6:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi all. I'm a newbie both oh boards.ie and on martial arts(took a few karate classes with a friend and dropped a wushu class after realizing thAt they were only focusing on MMA). Anyway, i'm looking for classes/schools/etc related to weaponry(kendo would be great) near Maynooth, since i live there. I've found a couple schools on dublin but as a student its kinda expensive to come and go around and theres also the payment for the classes.

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the poor english and wrong words.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 paulol

Hi Gile,

Ok I cannot post links yet as a new user? but if you google "ju jitsu, maynooth" you will find a link for the Irish Jiu Jitsu Academy)

If no joy with the Maynooth page then they might be able to direct you in the right way of people who can help you.

p.

Hi Gile,

Ok I cannot post links yet as a new user? but if you google "ju jitsu, maynooth" you will find a link for the Irish Jiu Jitsu Academy.

If no joy with the Maynooth page then they might be able to direct you in the right way of people who can help you.

p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Gile

Oh, I've found some a Kung Fu academy on Maynooth and a Tae Kwon Do too. I know the Maynooth Self Defense Society, and one of my friends practices there. What i'm really looking for is a school focused on weaponry, such as kendo, with some aspects of the philosophy of the martial art(i don't know how it's here, but from where i live, the usual jiu jitsu schools only teaches you the self defense/technique/moviments, having nothing related to the philosophy behind the art).

I guess i'll take a look on both those schools that i've found on Maynooth and search for the societies on the college. Thanks!

Gile wrote: »
    Oh, I've found some a Kung Fu academy on Maynooth and a Tae Kwon Do too. I know the Maynooth Self Defense Society, and one of my friends practices there. What i'm really looking for is a school focused on weaponry, such as kendo, with some aspects of the philosophy of the martial art(i don't know how it's here, but from where i live, the usual jiu jitsu schools only teaches you the self defense/technique/moviments, having nothing related to the philosophy behind the art).

I guess i'll take a look on both those schools that i've found on Maynooth and search for the societies on the college. Thanks!

try them all Gile. you need to enjoy yourself and the vibe before you decide the class is for you. martial arts classes are more about the people involved in the training session that the actual martial art ;)

let us know how you get on with your quest :)

p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Gile wrote: »
    but from where i live, the usual jiu jitsu schools only teaches you the self defense/technique/moviments, having nothing related to the philosophy behind the art).

What exactly are you expecting in terms of philosophy? If you want to discuss Descartes and Russel, you might be better off taking a philosophy class.

The "philosophy" in martial arts is a lot more simple than that. For example in judo you have the combination of the principles of maxim effect for minimal effort which basically means that meeting things head on isn't always the best way of doing things, and Mutual Welfare and Benefit. which basically means you are not looking to hurt your training partners, as no training partners means no training.

Other styles like kendo are big on mushin which is basically acting without thinking, and also the principal of one hit one kill.

Thing is, unless you sign up as a monk or join a cult, you will not get this taught as a strict philosophy class. They are more principals that guide how you train. In time I think you are supposed to adsorb this way of thinking into your general life, but as I said it is not usually explicitly taught.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Gile

What exactly are you expecting in terms of philosophy? If you want to discuss Descartes and Russel, you might be better off taking a philosophy class.

The "philosophy" in martial arts is a lot more simple than that. For example in judo you have the combination of the principles of maxim effect for minimal effort which basically means that meeting things head on isn't always the best way of doing things, and Mutual Welfare and Benefit. which basically means you are not looking to hurt your training partners, as no training partners means no training.

Other styles like kendo are big on mushin which is basically acting without thinking, and also the principal of one hit one kill.

Thing is, unless you sign up as a monk or join a cult, you will not get this taught as a strict philosophy class. They are more principals that guide how you train. In time I think you are supposed to adsorb this way of thinking into your general life, but as I said it is not usually explicitly taught.

Oh, i see. I may be looking for the wrong thing, then. I wasn't expecting that the teacher sit with a bunch of students to explain this philosophy, but at the same time i expected a bigger background or at least mentions about it on classes. Talking with a friend that practices Wushu Kung Fu for a long time, he explained to me things such as chi, how your energy works and how his master/teacher explained those kind of things to him, which made me really interested, and i thought that other kind of martial arts would use similar things.

I guess it's also up to the students/teachers to have a common way to see/learn/practice different things, they may not be looking for it as I am when i've tried before. I will take a look on my options on Maynooth and report again here. Thanks!

Martial arts training does have a life philosophy that practitioners try to follow. It mainly boils down to not being a knobend :)

Mushin and bushido also come into the idea of training.

It will always depend on the instructor and the type of martial art you pursue.

But always do it for the fun factor first ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dubdamo

There are bujinkan dojos in Celbridge and Naas. I know it's predominantly empty hand but they do incorporate a lot of weapon work. Just google 'bujinkan Ireland Dojo list'.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Blackthorn Fight School

There is the Ju jitsu guys in Maynooth as previously mentioned.

If your ever in Dublin feel free to check out my group we are primarily weapon focused and have had a number of people travel from Maynooth to train with us. As for philosophy etc much of this in traditional arts come from the culture around them eg the Buddhist philosophy in many eastern arts but when you translate that to an irish guy teaching in a local church hall much of it gets lost.

Either way good luck and I hope you find a style that suits you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

• Advertisement
Advertisement