Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

exercise equipment apartment

Options
  • 29-12-2014 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

I live in a 3rd floor apartment. I recently took delivery of an exercise bike that wasn't actually for my apartment and was only delivered to me because it was a present for someone else. We were away for Christmas and came back to 3 crazy notes about the noise of my exercise equipment. Neighbour must have seen the courier. Crazy downstairs neighbour had an issue with a party that we threw when we were actually in a different country so not too concerned about them! The actual question is about exercise equipment in my apartment. I would like a treadmill but figure they're too noisy. Would a crosstrainer on a mat be very noisy to use without music at 6am or after 7pm? My apartment block is pretty quiet except for one noisy family but I don't want to cause excessive noise. Gym is out of question at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

In our development the rule is no externally audible noise between 10pm and 8am. You'd be ok in the evening but cross trainers can be noisy so I'd consider 6am to be unreasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

So what's going to happen to the exercise bike that you currently have in your apartment that you don't own?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

WOAH, so many leads to interesting stories that Im disappointed where it all went!!!

Rubber exercise equipment mats in argos do work for noise reduction quite well in my experience, but as stated, not outside the hours of 8 am until 10 PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Even after 7pm tbh could be unreasonable IMHO if one of the families above or below you has young children.

It all depends on the construction of the block really. There's a pretty good chance that any kind of exercise equipment will be excessively noisy any time of the day and will cause more of a headache for you than you need.

As much as you can say that it's TS if the noise is during the day, you'd still be causing tension that you don't need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Thanks.
    Think I will invest and hope for the best! 7 to 8pm should be more than enough! The bike went to it's real home. I was only making a point that downstairs neighbour is crazy and always complaining about imaginary noise so I could't use them as a gauge for what's too loud. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

So the exercise bike was in its box never used and the neighbours were lying about hearing the noise of it? Id drag it to their door and show them then fling the notes in their face and laugh at them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Thargor wrote: »
    So the exercise bike was in its box never used and the neighbours were lying about hearing the noise of it? Id drag it to their door and show them then fling the notes in their face and laugh at them :D

They are quite insane! My high heels cause them pain (I never wear shoes inside), the coffee maker after dinner causes pain, as do the loud parties when I'm not even in the country, the bike in a box and my hairdryer. They also leave notes warning that dogs are banned. I haven't got a dog. I used to reason with them but now I just ignore them. I have ordered a cross trainer and mat. I hope it's not too loud and will wait until other neighbours tell me they can hear it before I worry about the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

vamos! wrote: »
    They are quite insane! My high heels cause them pain (I never wear shoes inside), the coffee maker after dinner causes pain, as do the loud parties when I'm not even in the country, the bike in a box and my hairdryer. They also leave notes warning that dogs are banned. I haven't got a dog. I used to reason with them but now I just ignore them. I have ordered a cross trainer and mat. I hope it's not too loud and will wait until other neighbours tell me they can hear it before I worry about the noise.

Personally I would present them with your litany of "crimes" and the proof that you were not responsible and tell them that you will be reporting them to the Gardai for harassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

vamos! wrote: »
    I have ordered a cross trainer and mat. I hope it's not too loud and will wait until other neighbours tell me they can hear it before I worry about the noise.

Regardless of complaints you are still bound by development rules and lease covenants regarding noise levels. Check yours before you start using at early /late hours

Advertisement