Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whining Hysterical Emigrants

Options
  • 28-12-2014 6:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Anyone else sick of these 'Wild Geese' who talk about Ireland as if they just escaped Haiti or the Congo? The high drama 'I'm free now of that hellhole.' stuff is just bizarre. They act like the Famine is still raging here. Especially as most of the ones who do this are no better off in their adopted homeland than they were here.

The comments section of Irish on-line newspapers is saturated with them. If they are so contented in their new homeland why do they read the Times, Indo, Examiner and all the regional rags first thing when they get up in the morning? Haven't they found salvation from this hellhole?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nope :rolleyes:

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

We have no jobs and no potatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I hear more complaints about emigrants than from the group themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Yeah well, if they don't like it they can leave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

normally when you take an annoying burden off someone they tend to give a little bit of dramatic exasperated relief, such as getting home after its been lightly raining, you get a little high drama like 'Christ its pissin buckets out there'.
    This is just their moment to look back and curse the thing that troubled them, just let them have their moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

But we have banananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

I'll trade ya 2 potatoes for a bucket?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

i did hear comments on my local radio about the issue on emigration, and many were that people who left Ireland jumped ship when the country was going down the tubes..make of that what you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Nope :rolleyes:
    Not the greatest of contributions really.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's half the ones still here I hear complaining how they hate our country and we are third world etc, wish they would clear off and stop their whinging, you'd swear we were living in Russia under the rule of Joe Stalin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I know a guy who doesn't have nipples.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Whining Hysterical Emigrants? I remember REM released it as the controversial b-side to Shiny Happy People. Good tune, all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Can you change thread title to "Whining Hysterical About Emigrants"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I just belched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I know I would not be complaining if I had a roof over my head provided for free. You know compared to the place they have came from, Alot seem to be ahem economic migrants and not genuine fleeing for their lives Emigrants .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Head over to accommodation forum or commuting forum and there are a few posters but one in particular that has most every post "here is Germany......"

I might move there too, the streets seem to be paved with gold and everything is perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

The worst is the "pity me" statuses and messages from people over in London - you'd swear some of them were all the way in China or something.

"I feel so disconnected from my homeland, like so many who took the boat like me" - then fcuking hop on a Ryanair for a day trip, the journey will take less time than a train from Dublin to Cork and cost you less too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

I'm high .
    Everybody is entitled to their opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Jesus Irish people love a good moan at each other. Within the country at each other and outside of the country too. Our fcuking snakes of a government love this kind of crap. Stand together for fook sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Have you asked them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I read the word "whining" and left it at that.

What's this about again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I know a fair few people who are very happy and in many cases doing better abroad than they did in their native land but when I hear someone complaining that their life was shit at home because their home country is a bit crap I interpret it to mean that they failed to succeed on a level playing field and so ran away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

humbert wrote: »
    I know a fair few people who are very happy and in many cases doing better abroad than they did in their native land but when I hear someone complaining that their life was shit at home because their home country is a bit crap I interpret it to mean that they failed to succeed on a level playing field and so ran away.

Bull****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

chrysagon wrote: »
    i did hear comments on my local radio about the issue on emigration, and many were that people who left Ireland jumped ship when the country was going down the tubes..make of that what you will.

If you have a recruitment choice.......same experience and qualifications......would it be the person who stayed or an emigrant who left five years ago ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

chrysagon wrote: »
    many were that people who left Ireland jumped ship when the country was going down the tubes..make of that what you will.

So, is it 'jumping ship' when a person decides to leave rather than rely on social welfare?

I'm an 'emigrant'. I'm earning good money and not burdening the Irish social welfare system.

So would it have been more patriotic of me to stay at home and draw the dole every week?

It would easier than what I'm at now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

So, is it 'jumping ship' when a person decides to leave rather than rely on social welfare?

I'm an 'emigrant'. I'm earning good money and not burdening the Irish social welfare system.

So would it have been more patriotic of me to stay at home and draw the dole every week?

It would easier than what I'm at now.

They werent my quotes, they were opinions offered on radio,, i have had a few buddies and relations emigrate, and most stated they didnt want to be a financial burden on their families etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Sick to death of people moaning about emigrants and Australia.

I've several friends who have emigrated and love to hear their stories over a few pints when they come home.

People moaning about them just reek of jealousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The idea of living and dying in the same country scares the sh1t out of me TBH.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

Whining about Whining

now that's ironic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Irelands great, I miss it.

I want to get home again someday.

The UK is a horribly militaristic place, fighter jets all over the place. Novelty wears off after a while and they just get ****ing irrating.
    All the twee "We will remember them" crap in November.
    Nuclear warheads

And the roads, sweet jesus the roads. Irelands roads are **** but at least we have a comprehensive network. I'm driving from one end of scotland to the other tomorrow night and I have about 2 hours of shaggin single track roads atleast our rural roads are wide enough for two cars to pass, and these arent short stretches of narrow road either they go for miles and miles and miles.

And in Ireland, if you buy a house its yours. UK has this ancient system of leaseholds and freeholds, pure bollocks.

Irelands government is corrupt but the UK's is absolutely stupid, unelected house of lords, its a ****ing monarchy for fecks sake and they're just as corrupt.

Long long list of stuff I hate about the UK. It has it advantages I suppose but Ireland is a surprisingly laid back happy, simple place in comparison.

Advertisement