Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacing car bulbs

Options
  • 28-12-2014 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have a 2012 skoda octavia vrs and I am looking to replace my stock headlights with xenon and was wondering what the process is? Can I simply switch out the stock bulbs with xenon bulbs or is there more to it then that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Not sure about your particular car but typically yes, its not just the bulb, there's more to it than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Xenon headlights should be banned :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Aar0n147 wrote: »
    I have a 2012 skoda octavia vrs and I am looking to replace my stock headlights with xenon and was wondering what the process is? Can I simply switch out the stock bulbs with xenon bulbs or is there more to it then that?
    HID headlamps require reflectors designed for HIDS, headlamp washers, a headlamp levelling system (the normal manual load adjuster is often ok) and additional wiring for ballasts, etc. to power the lights. All these must be certified (type-approved) for use in the EU.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Xenon headlights should be banned :mad:

Are you for real? Xenon headlight offer a vast improvement over standard halogen headlights. Virtually every car maker on the planet uses them either standard or option and will be around for a long time. as LED becomes more common it may phase out xenon but it will not be anytime soon imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Xenons are fine if they are factory fitted. Main reason being that they have self levelling sensors so they don't blind oncoming traffic.

It's the 'Praise the lowered' Passat/A4 chaps with aftermarket HID lights that are a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

For your own sake I would suggest you try Osram Nightbreaker or better still
    Philips X-treme Vision +130% bulbs before you try to move away from halogen lights.

[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

kceire wrote: »
    Are you for real? Xenon headlight offer a vast improvement over standard halogen headlights. Virtually every car maker on the planet uses them either standard or option and will be around for a long time. as LED becomes more common it may phase out xenon but it will not be anytime soon imho.
    So you've never been blinded by them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

You don't know the difference between aftermarket and factory ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

Blinded by the incorrectly fitted ones yeah, factory fitted rarely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

braddun wrote: »

Half the sh1t on that page are blue tinged bulbs. They just add a different colour to standard. I know you're not one for explanations but please fill me in on how a blue tinged H7 is worse than a standard H7 because it's not (bar the owner looking like an idiot).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

There's a blue filter in the bulb glass cutting out visible white/yellow light. You loose raw output.

Advertisement