Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advertising an LCD TV as an led ?

Options
  • 27-12-2014 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Hi , just curious as to why a well known electrical shop would advertise a 50inch TV as a led when in fact it's a LCD.
    I'm not annoyed or anything , well I don't think I am as I'm happy with the telly itself but I got curious when there was a led sticker over where it says LCD on the box . So I googled it when I got home and it is a LCD TV .
    The only reason I think that this company would do this is so they can add an extra few quid on the TV. Having said that , the price they were selling it for was within my budget and the staff couldn't knock any more off it.
    It's kind of annoying though that a company would falsely advertise ...
    Anyone ever heard of this before or is it common practice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Led is only the backlight behind the LCD panel. Led TV's are LCD TV's with an led backlight but it can be confusing the way some manufacturers call their sets "led" as if it's some new form of technology replacing LCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The TV technology which uses LEDs to form pixels is called OLED. It's completely different to LED TVs and is much more expensive.
    TV's known as LED TVs are simply standard LCD displays which are backlit by LEDs (usually in a ring around the perimeter) the instead of a fluorescent tube. LED backlighting has a faster start-up and uses less power than fluorescent, plus especially on high-end models the LEDs can be positioned to give more even lighting and localised dimming for better image quality (darker blacks). An OLED TV would probably be twice the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

What's the model?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

What's the model?
    It's a Panasonic tx50a400b.. The lads above explained it to me , a lot of companies do go all out saying it's an led TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

hawkelady wrote: »
    It's a Panasonic tx50a400b.. The lads above explained it to me , a lot of companies do go all out saying it's an led TV.

That TV is an LED LCD. You haven't been mislead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement