Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse names- "Sizing X"

Options
  • 27-12-2014 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭

Just wondering, I know a silly question, but what is with the raft of horses called Sizing ___

-Sizing Australia
    -Sizing Europe
    -Sizing John (a new one I just heard on the news)

Am I missing something?! :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,406 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's the name that is given by the owner (Alan Potts) when he buys the horses as unnamed 3-4 year olds. Common enough practice, Rita Shah and Patrick O'Brady did a similar thing with their Shabra horses (Shabra comes from their surnames - Sha(h)Bra(dy) - just in case no one knew :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

Ah!!! SO the same people own all 3 horses??

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

berger89 wrote: »
    Just wondering, I know a silly question, but what is with the raft of horses called Sizing ___

-Sizing Australia
    -Sizing Europe
    -Sizing John (a new one I just heard on the news)

Am I missing something?! :P

Alan Potts who made his money from commercializing specific mineral sizing equipment is the owner of all those horses.
    http://www.mmdsizers.com/history/

I have another unrelated question which I have often thought about but never found an answer for... Does Gigginstown Stud actually have any stallions standing?

I know O'Leary breeds Angus cattle but what about horses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Alan Potts who made his money from commercializing specific mineral sizing equipment is the owner of all those horses.
    http://www.mmdsizers.com/history/

I have another unrelated question which I have often thought about but never found an answer for... Does Gigginstown Stud actually have any stallions standing?

Liked and shared, would love a 1500 series sizer xx

http://www.mmdsizers.com/products/sizers/index1.php?machine=13

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

I have often wondered how he gets away with calling the horses this name as it relates to his buisness and is a form of advertising which I tought was not allowed. Especially now with sizing granite and platinum etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

I believe dr koukash was pulled up by the BHA regarding his horses being called gabriel, they claimed it was getting too confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

meath4sam wrote: »
    I have often wondered how he gets away with calling the horses this name as it relates to his buisness and is a form of advertising which I tought was not allowed. Especially now with sizing granite and platinum etc.

Advertising is allowed. In fact, it is actively encouraged. You see it on the silks of jockeys in every race, plus everywhere else to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

clipper logistics

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

No stallions that I am aware of but a pretty big broodmare operation so a stud. A studless stud!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

meath4sam wrote: »

Heard of a guy who called his horse 'business' - used it to great advantage. Claimed on a regular basis to be out on 'business' and the various expenditure was 'business' related. Pricesless!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,406 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

BumperD wrote: »
    Advertising is allowed. In fact, it is actively encouraged. You see it on the silks of jockeys in every race, plus everywhere else to boot.
    Aye - Tayto Park says hello

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Liked and shared, would love a 1500 series sizer xx

http://www.mmdsizers.com/products/sizers/index1.php?machine=13

Is that a huge machine or a borrower?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Yeah you see the odd horse named after a business. Holeinthewall Bar runs today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Days Hotel a good horse aswell as an advertising tool.

Used to be a few horses knocking around Wolverhampton ending with.com, havnt spotted one for a while though maybe it was too far

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

A few years back Slaney Meats used to have horses called Slaney Bacon, Slaney Sausage, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Seen a horse by the name of 'Walter White'.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭hawkeyethenoo

Yeah you see the odd horse named after a business. Holeinthewall Bar runs today

yourgolftravel . com was one or something similar.

Advertisement