Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

10k budget

Options
  • 27-12-2014 10:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭

03 punto driver for last three years doing round 400 miles a week. Was first car and now looking for a bit more power and especially comfort. Thinking along the lines of a diesel BMW or a Passat. Any thing to look out for in my price range or would you recommend something else. Going looking at cars on Monday in garages( if open)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

What about a Honda accord 2.2 diesel? Much better car than them German money pits "imo". However, I've never liked German cars so don't take my advice as gospel even though Japanese vehicles in general are cheaper maintain and easier work on the odd time something does go wrong. Each to their own.. Happy hunting, and best of luck with whatever you decide on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Any particular requirements for kids etc? Plenty of options out there, decide upon a few you like the look of and delve deaper into them. Judging by your post you are gearing towards the more "luxury", if thatjs what you'd call them, segment.

Ones that sprinf to mind are
    A4
    3 series
    Accord
    Passat cc is a dark horse there too, that often gets overlooked/forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,430 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A passat cc for 10k?

colm_mcm wrote:
    A passat cc for 10k?

Wouldn't you get a late 08 or 09 for 10k

Edit: Appears not. They're holding their value well!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,430 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They're Kinda off my radar, but I would've thought they'd be a bit more unless they're a bit shady

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

vw start breaking down as they get old

colm_mcm wrote:
    They're Kinda off my radar, but I would've thought they'd be a bit more unless they're a bit shady

Ya a quick look on dd has them on about 12ish. It's not a car that I'd be looking up too often. Tad dear for a passat that's coming up 6/7 years....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ya a quick look on dd has them on about 12ish. It's not a car that I'd be looking up too often. Tad dear for a passat that's coming up 6/7 years....

They cost alot more than a regular Passat when new though, generally better equipped, better styled and still in small numbers and desirable. I got very good money for my 2011 CC recently. I'd have a CC over a similar priced A4 all day too.

bazz26 wrote: »
    They cost alot more than a regular Passat when new though, generally better equipped, better styled and still in small numbers and desirable. I got very good money for my 2011 CC recently. I'd have a CC over a similar priced A4 all day too.

How did you go about ridding yours? Trade in or private sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

braddun wrote: »
    vw start breaking down as they get old

Because other car brands don't break down or need maintenance once they get old. Vw don't break down any more than any other major brands. Once maintained correctly and minded they prove very reliable the same as most cars. Infairness anyone that doesn't want to spend any money fixing potential problems or maintaining a car needs to buy a brand new one with a warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How did you go about ridding yours? Trade in or private sale?

Traded it as a car with the spec I had been looking for popped up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭harrymagina

Hi guys, was looking at 1.8 Mondeo diesel, 60,000 miles 2010. Anything to look out for. And to answer earlier question is I'm 26 with no kids. Really want something reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

Harry see my previous post here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057352151

Do you really want anything that portrays you to be 56 instead of 26? You'll be long enough driving kid friendly mobiles. 3 series all the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭harrymagina

ian87 wrote: »
    Harry see my previous post here

Do you really want anything that portrays you to be 56 instead of 26? You'll be long enough driving kid friendly mobiles. 3 series all the way.

High mileage low years for 10k unfortunatlu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

A 2007 could well be a cheaper buy than a 2008 on as it they have. More reliable engine. Cheaper tax isn't the end of the world after all.

Edit: a quick search on donedeal shows plenty 2007 m sport 320ds for 10k and less.

Advertisement