Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor tax for a 2008 import

Options
  • 27-12-2014 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭

I am looking at bringing in a 2008 car from the UK, i know the VRT and am fine with it ( well not really :mad: ) anyway does the car have to be first registered post June 2008 in the UK to qualify for co2 based motor tax or are all 2008 co2 based when imported ????

Oh and the difference between CC based and Co2 based is about 600 euro a year !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jsn.mcclintock

I think any car registered between January and June 2008 is taxed either co2 or cc, whichever is cheaper. July onwards is co2 only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I think any car registered between January and June 2008 is taxed either co2 or cc, whichever is cheaper. July onwards is co2 only.

Well CO2 is cheaper but i think i may contact the tax office on Monday to conform for sure if no one comes forward with concrete info !

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

We have an April 08 uk import diesel, and its taxed on emissions.

Tax office and revenue staff and NCTS are often clowns and won't know the answer, and send you round the houses.
    All 3 told us that the car would be taxed on cc and recommended we contact the department that told us to contact them in the first place (ie all 3)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,123 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

All imports originally registered from 2008 onwards are put on the emissions based tax system these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

bazz26 wrote: »
    All imports originally registered from 2008 onwards are put on the emissions based tax system these days.

Not true. A car first registered between Jan and June (inclusive) has the choice of cc or co2 based annual motor tax, whichever is cheaper.

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/menu.do;jsessionid=0aa0114730d793c9015c24224ca6a32b887cbd9fb50c.e38PaNaSbh0RaO0MaNmRe0?page=motortaxrates

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Well CO2 is cheaper but i think i may contact the tax office on Monday to conform for sure if no one comes forward with concrete info !

Motor tax offices are not back open until the 2nd January IIRC.
    You have the option of CC or CO2 rates for a 2008 car.

Advertisement