Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How do you suggest I get my car to a garage?

Options
  • 27-12-2014 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi guys.
    Im based in galway City.

Basically my car will start but it keeps on cutting out me when going from idle to moving off.

I want to take it to a garage to get it diagnosed but I'm afraid it will completely die on me on the way there.

So im not really sure what to do...

What would you recommend?
    Are there garages in Galway that will collect cars? Or do you know of some mobile mechanic based in galway?

Any advice is hugely appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Call your insurance company. Most policies have breakdown cover now so just tell them your car broke down and you need it towed to a garage. If they ask about it being at your house just say it broke down ask round the corner and you and a mate pushed it back. (Some policies will have breakdown assist but not when it's at your property. Stupid clause)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

what kind of car is it ? my guess is the IACV (idle air control valve) or faulty sensor. have u breakdown assistance on your insurance ? if so they'll tow it to a garage

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dubbeat

Nice one guys. Yeah I do have breakdown assist.
    It's a 95 toyota starlet. It only just passed the nct 2 weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Can you get a friend to tow you to a garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

does it start up fine and drive ok high up in the revs ? id still say a clogged up IACV i cleaned my one recently (honda) because of a poor low idle and its idling alot better now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

pudzey101 wrote: »
    does it start up fine and drive ok high up in the revs ? id still say a clogged up IACV i cleaned my one recently (honda) because of a poor low idle and its idling alot better now

I like this game.

I'd say there's a piece of toast stuck in the left hand side air vent and when you turn left the indicator draws enough current to cause the horn to short on the exhaust. I cleaned my budgies cage recently and it fixed the tread on my tyres too.

OP, call your insurer first, then call a local indy garage and ask them would they mind collecting it or give you a number of a recovery operator they use. Agree in advance how much it'll cost to have it brought to their place, and how much the diagnostics will cost and what you'll get for your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

pudzey101 wrote: »

Where is the IACV located on the carbureted 2E engine that's fitted to that era of starlet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

I like this game.

I'd say there's a piece of toast stuck in the left hand side air vent and when you turn left the indicator draws enough current to cause the horn to short on the exhaust. I cleaned my budgies cage recently and it fixed the tread on my tyres too

This is the reason I won't let anyone eat toast in my car!

It's a catastrophe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Dia1988 wrote: »
    This is the reason I won't let anyone eat toast in my car!

It's a catastrophe!

yeah definately the Catastrophe has gone, get a secondhand one at the scrapyards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Where is the IACV located on the carbureted 2E engine that's fitted to that era of starlet?

I thought they were single point injection after 94.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Dia1988 wrote: »
    It's a catastrophe!

I'm sorry but this is just a load of bull....

It's clearly a catoastrophe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

You have breakdown cover right? When the roads are nice and quiet just drive to the garage and if you breakdown, call your insurance. Simpels and no messing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Can you get a friend to tow you to a garage?

Don't do this. Towing a dead car with a rope is just asking for trouble. Use a recovery company.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Del2005 wrote: »
    Don't do this. Towing a dead car with a rope is just asking for trouble.

It's also illegal now iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Stheno wrote: »
    It's also illegal now iirc

It runs though, maybe in Neutral the brakes and steering will work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Nino Brown wrote: »
    It runs though, maybe in Neutral the brakes and steering will work.

Try tell that to the Traffic Core Gardai

"Tis graaand Guard, in neutral!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

jca wrote: »
    I thought they were single point injection after 94.
    You could be right. I thought it was after 95 but it's been a long time since i've seen one of those starlets so I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

You could be right. I thought it was after 95 but it's been a long time since i've seen one of those starlets so I'm not sure.

The brother had a 94 and it was a 1.3 xli with the 5 speed box. Maybe the 1.0's were slower to change to injection, they were a great car in fairness especially the 1.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

easy answer is get the car towed to the garage... by the way..... it IS NOT illegal to tow a car

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

easy answer is get the car towed to the garage... by the way..... it IS NOT illegal to tow a car

I'm fairly sure towing a car with a rope as suggested is illegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I don't think it is illegal to tow a car, with a proper towing bar.

However, towing is a seriously hateful way of moving a car about, especially with ropes/straps.

Trailer it/recovery for peace of mind

Something being legal doesn't make it safe. Being towed in a car with no brakes takes a lot of skill. I'd only tow if the car was in a dangerous place and then only to somewhere safe to wait for a proper recovery wagon or car transporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

yeh but the claim was that its illegal....ive seen this spouted on here a couple of times now, and its incorrect....it is perfectly legal to tow a car

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Pretty much everything post 1993 is fuel injection

yeh but the claim was that its illegal....ive seen this spouted on here a couple of times now, and its incorrect....it is perfectly legal to tow a car

Usually by the same people who insist you need a 4x4 to tow a trailer with more than one axle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

It's a starlet. Chances are there's no fuel in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Del2005 wrote: »
    Something being legal doesn't make it safe. Being towed in a car with no brakes takes a lot of skill. I'd only tow if the car was in a dangerous place and then only to somewhere safe to wait for a proper recovery wagon or car transporter.

Who said it had no brakes?

If the engine idles then it will still have brakes and power steering if fitted, you may need to be conservative with the brakes to allow the vacuum to recover but they still work.

Advertisement