Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-mail: Is this spam?

Options
  • 27-12-2014 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭

I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask this so mods please feel free to move it. I got the below e-mail in my inbox from the e-mail address service@revenue.ie about a tax refund. Usually if its spam it goes straight to the spam folder however this didn't. Its informing me that I am due a tax refund for the year and the e-mail has the official revenue logo on it aswell. It includes a link to click on to enter my debit or credit card details to process the refund. I presume this is someone trying to defraud me or do revenue actually send e-mails like this when your due back tax money:confused:

Dear customer,

After the last annual calculation of your fiscal activity we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund

of 390.63 £.

Please supply your refunds information by clicking the link in the space below.

Refund processing link

Please submit the tax refund and allow us 3-9 business days in order to process it.

Sincerely,

Revenue,

South West Region Regional Tax Clearance Dublin 2 (Dublin) .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

£? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Absolute spam. Since when have we started using £ again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

revenue dont send personal emails with regards to your tax -yes spam

Also im sure somebody in reveune knows that the currency symbol comes before the number, realize that we use euros and has found a way to hit altgr and 4 at the same time to make a € symbol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

If you have to question it, it's a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Definitely spam.

If you really want to check for 100% peace of mind log on to PAYE anytime and check it you have anything but there won't be anything there.

Revenue don't send out unprompted emails offering to give you money even if it was in euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Not spam - scam. Phishing scam to be specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks folks for the replys. I hope other people who receive a similar e-mail aren't fooled by it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

don't open strange emails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This is a very old scam. I got an identical e-mail over a year ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

My advice is to take the money and run...to Nigeria where you could collect hundreds of thousands more from a former government official I have befriended...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

I keep getting emails from a russian email address. have never clicked into the actual email…but try and get google translate to decipher some of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

We don't know your name, but can tell you to the cent how much we owe you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

dobsdave wrote: »
    We don't know your name, but can tell you to the cent how much we owe you :-)
    also most notices from revenue start ." YOU,worthless tax payer" , not customer

Advertisement