Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty electronic good, advised to contact samsung.

Options
  • 27-12-2014 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Hi folks. My sister recently bought a samsung tablet for her daughter from a store here in Ireland. It was intended as a christmas gift but was bought in september as she was trying to keep on top of things.

On christmas day we opened it up and plugged it in to charge. I noticed there was no light and the tablet wasnt charging. I checked the charger on my phone and there was no fault with it it was just a case that the tablet would not turn on or charge.

My sister went back to the store today and was told that because it was outside the 28 day warranty she would need to take up the issue with samsung.

Surely the contract is between her and the store and not samsung? And as far as electrical goods go, and expensive ones at that they should be expected to last for a lot more than 28 days.

Does she have a right to be aggrieved here or are the store within their rights to send her to samsung?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

rogieop wrote: »
    Hi folks. My sister recently bought a samsung tablet for her daughter from a store here in Ireland. It was intended as a christmas gift but was bought in september as she was trying to keep on top of things.

On christmas day we opened it up and plugged it in to charge. I noticed there was no light and the tablet wasnt charging. I checked the charger on my phone and there was no fault with it it was just a case that the tablet would not turn on or charge.

My sister went back to the store today and was told that because it was outside the 28 day warranty she would need to take up the issue with samsung.

Surely the contract is between her and the store and not samsung? And as far as electrical goods go, and expensive ones at that they should be expected to last for a lot more than 28 days.

Does she have a right to be aggrieved here or are the store within their rights to send her to samsung?
    You deal with the store, its up to the store to do all the dealing with samsung, thats the way the law is set up here, as that is who your contract is with. That is usually what i advise people to do, it is up to you as a consumer if you want to force the store to act appropriately which in my opinion they should, or go to samsung yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

did it come with a charger

Samsung needs high amp charger most phone chargers will not charge tablets

It's possible that you received a 5.0v charger with your tablet. Samsung shipped the wrong chargers for a short period. The charger needs to supply 5.3v before the tablet will charge normally. Google 5.3v 2amp charger or call samsung to get the correct one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

As others have said legally the store must provide remedy however it can be quicker dealing directly with the manufacturer as you are cutting out the middle man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The 28 days the store mentioned probably refers to their returns policy for change of mind situations. It has no basis in law for situations where the item is defective or not as described. The contract is with the seller, not Samsung. Your sister would be entitled to require the seller to provide a repair or replacement, or if neither are feasible she can be entitled to her money back or a discount. This applies even the tablet was a pre-used item or sold at a discount.
    Even if she claimed under the manufacturer's guarantee the seller must also deal with the guarantee claim if requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Thanks folks, looks like my leaving cert business studies from yester year came in handy.

I think ill go in with the tablet myself. She probably didnt force the issue enough.

Heres hoping for a speedy resolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Daire92

You have a 2 year warranty with Samsung. You should have at least 13 months on store with the company you bought it from. The Samsung experience stories can perform the warranty fix for her if she provides a receipt with the tablet. It will have to be sent away for up to 10 days though, they will not replace it there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Daire92 wrote: »
    You have a 2 year warranty with Samsung. You should have at least 13 months on store with the company you bought it from. The Samsung experience stories can perform the warranty fix for her if she provides a receipt with the tablet. It will have to be sent away for up to 10 days though, they will not replace it there and then.
    What does this mean?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

rogieop wrote: »
    Thanks folks, looks like my leaving cert business studies from yester year came in handy.

I think ill go in with the tablet myself. She probably didnt force the issue enough.

Heres hoping for a speedy resolution.

Per braddun post

Can you verify the output of the Chargers you attempted charging with?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/index.html

Say exactly "Under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980 if the goods are not of merchantable quality then you are entitled to a refund.I you are are not going to refund me then I will have to take the issue to the small claims court. If you are unable to make this decision then please contact your manager and I expect a call at XXX before 5pm today, thank you."

PS there is no such thing as "28 day warranty". The link below should explain what your rights are.

http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

Under consumer law you could get something "6 years from date of delivery" according to apple. Same would apply to your charger.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    What does this mean?

Sorry that was my phones autocorrect going a bit mad. It should say you have a "12 month warranty IN store."

• Advertisement

rom wrote: »

Say exactly "Under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980 if the goods are not of merchantable quality then you are entitled to a refund.I you are are not going to refund me then I will have to take the issue to the small claims court. If you are unable to make this decision then please contact your manager and I expect a call at XXX before 5pm today, thank you."

PS there is no such thing as "28 day warranty". The link below should explain what your rights are.

Under consumer law you could get something "6 years from date of delivery" according to apple. Same would apply to your charger.

The 28 day warranty is worded incorrectly by the staff more than likely. Most shops will have a 28 days returns policy which is the standard length. Anything returned after these 28 days does not have to be replaced instantly but can be warrantied. Obviously it doesn't apply to every product, but most electronics than can be repaired will be sent for warranty work.

Advertisement