Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better off (financially) not getting married

Options
  • 27-12-2014 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

Can someone double check I've gotten this correct.

My friend's girlfriend gets full JSA (no rent allowance though) - €188 per week

If they were married he'd get the married person tax credit, and the married person's standard rate cut off point. BUT my understanding after running the numbers is that the max benefit of this is €68 per week (there is no incremental benefit after one's earnings reach 41,800)

Since she would get 0 after means testing, they're 120euro a week better off not being married?!

Seems like one of those welfare traps I hear about. Have I done the numbers wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

If they live together going on the info you have provided she shouldnt be getting anything after means testing. And he wouldnt be able to get married person tax credit etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement