Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help; backing up camcorder to HD drive

Options
  • 27-12-2014 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I recently moved camcorders and bought a Canon Legria R56 HD camera. All seemed well until I took the massive step of actually trying to back up the files onto an external hard disk drive.

I downloaded the software and followed the steps but when the files were converted they were done so in a MTS file.

This means very little to me but after some googling I realised you can download a MTS file converter so that I can see these clips on Windows Media Player etc etc.

Is this the only way to do this... seems incredible that there is no way I can backup the files from the camcorder to the PC in a format that is readable!!!

The last camera I had (a JVC) I could do that but the exporting took hours even just to convert at below HD quality.

I find it all a bit disheartening in that it seems like you have to be an IT expert to merely back up a feckin camera.

Help really appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

your camera produces AVCHD files, this format has been around since mid 2006 and it's well established at this stage. So transferring the movie clips from your camera to the PC will result in you having files with the extension *.mts, you'll need some other program to view those files.
    If your running Microsoft Windows you could try opening the files with Windows Media Player. Another option is to open the files with VLC Player its free and plays most formats.
    good luck!

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Fionn wrote: »
    your camera produces AVCHD files, this format has been around since mid 2006 and it's well established at this stage. So transferring the movie clips from your camera to the PC will result in you having files with the extension *.mts, you'll need some other program to view those files.
    If your running Microsoft Windows you could try opening the files with Windows Media Player. Another option is to open the files with VLC Player its free and plays most formats.
    good luck!

:)

I have the same problem, Panasonic camcorder; playback is choppy no matter what program is playing it.

Seems really like the HD settings are pointless, my full HD phone plays back smoother at full HD.

How can a phone give better all round results than a camcorder??

Confused..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I have the same problem, Panasonic camcorder; playback is choppy no matter what program is playing it.

Seems really like the HD settings are pointless, my full HD phone plays back smoother at full HD.

How can a phone give better all round results than a camcorder??

Confused..

Those AVCHD/mts files play best on a TV or Blue Ray Player try putting the files onto a USB stick or external Hard drive and connect and play them directly on your TV or Blue Ray player through the USB port.

Also they play well if you burn them to disc onto DVD or Blue Ray.

Watching them on a computer is often jumpy. If you want to watch them on a computer convert them to something like mpeg4.

Advertisement