Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is it called when big problem is broken down into smaller probles?

Options
  • 27-12-2014 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, what is it called when big problem is broken down into multiple smaller problems/steps?

For example (from my previous experience few years ago): I need to make a website with user registration etc..
    I don't know anything about programming or databases, I don't know where to start, so I break down:

Big Problem: Make a website with registration.
    Broken down into smaller problems:

First of all: Learn website structure/hosting etc..
    1) Draw picture of rough website design/idea.
    2) Learn HTML and create all buttons, pics, forms.
    3) Learn CSS and design all HTML items (buttons, forms, divs etc..)
    4) Learn PHP for handling user input.
    5) Learn MySQL for data storage.
    6) Learn JavaScript to make website a bit nicer looking.
    7) Upload website and run it.

Done, problem solved now.
    So huge problem broken down into steps/smaller problems.

Is there specific name for such process in world of programming/development/IT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

A problem shared.... Is a problem Doubled .....Confucius Say.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)? A tool project managers use to break projects down into manageable pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)? A tool project managers use to break projects down into manageable pieces.

What if it's for a single person only? I mean not as general concept for manager say among a group of workers but rather for a single individual who does all his projects and work following that way?

The reason I am asking - is because I am very good with this method, I've made loads of phone apps, game scripts, plugins, websites and desktop applications using that method by myself, and in college I follow this way too and it always works very well for me, and I wanted to put that on CV as skill but unsure how to name it. I've always been leader in group projects in college too, breaking tasks among people. I always thought that's some kind of problem solving skill?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Life. Get used to it..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I think you re talking about breaking a generic GOAL into a number of specific OBJECTIVES.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

milestones...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

arleitiss wrote: »
    What if it's for a single person only? I mean not as general concept for manager say among a group of workers but rather for a single individual who does all his projects and work following that way?

The reason I am asking - is because I am very good with this method, I've made loads of phone apps, game scripts, plugins, websites and desktop applications using that method by myself, and in college I follow this way too and it always works very well for me, and I wanted to put that on CV as skill but unsure how to name it. I've always been leader in group projects in college too, breaking tasks among people. I always thought that's some kind of problem solving skill?

Effective task management skills
    Project management skills
    Influencing and leading abilities
    Critical thinking, decision-making, problem solving
    Leadership communication skills
    Managing people
    Ability to successfully training others
    Planning and organizing
    Successful project management skills
    Visualisation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

baby steps

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭PyeContinental

modularisation

Modular programming is a software design technique that emphasizes separating the functionality of a program into independent, interchangeable modules, such that each contains everything necessary to execute only one aspect of the desired functionality

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_programming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

"Programming"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

compartmentalisation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

fergalr wrote: »
    "Programming"

Ok, that's a bit glib - but what you are describing is basically the heart of programming, for me - its just that the smallest parts have to be translated into some sort of formal programming language. But that mapping to syntax is relatively unimportant, so really the biggest part of programming is this breaking down of the problem.

At a higher level, I might go with "Problem Decomposition" or "Decomposing the problem". "Breaking down the problem" is also fine.

To me "modularisation" is more about how you structure the solution than how you break down the problem - although obviously the two are related. "Compartmentalisation" means something stronger - like, how loosely coupled the broken down parts of the solution are.

Goal/sub-goal/objectives etc also a fine way of describing the same thing - although for me, that's more about the set of steps to take in enacting a solution, rather than a characterisation of the problem itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

"Divide and conquer" was the phrase we used to use.
    Although decomposition is a more technical way of describing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Snaffles2014

Is it Agile that you are looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

arleitiss wrote: »
    Hey, what is it called when big problem is broken down into multiple smaller problems/steps?

Stepwise refinement.

Nowadays superceded by object orientated programming.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Computing/AQA/Problem_Solving,_Programming,_Data_Representation_and_Practical_Exercise/Problem_Solving/Top-down_design_and_Step-wise_refinement

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭LukeQuietus

You could be talking about part of UML (Unified Modeling Language) known as Use cases and User stories.

Where you first right down what the program MUST do to meet it's base requirements (Use cases such as must allow new users to register, login and change password etc.) and then a few user stories such as "User wants to sign in. They go to login page and fill out form. On submit they're brought to page x if correct info, page y if incorrect, page z to signup etc". Then from there you start drawing UML digrams and figuring out your classes, methods/behaviours and attributes/properties.

That's more for development.

For web design I think your talking more about wireframing and prototyping

Advertisement