Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second car 330 motorway Km per week - 7k to spend

Options
  • 27-12-2014 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I plan on buying a second car this year. Doing about 330 Motorway Km per week (in one day), occasionally may end up doing 660 Motorway Km a week (over two days).

I'm looking for a cheap, reliable hatchback or saloon but something that won't let me down when I need to put the foot down to overtake. Absolute minimum would be 105-110 bhp, preferably more but also don't want a road/motor tax bill that will require me to get a second job :p

Budget may be about 7k.

With that amount of driving I assume a petrol will be best? I'm not too concerned with a car that will 'hold it's value'. Preferably, a decent car that has already depreciated more than similar cars on the same platform, in the segment (thus being cheaper [e.g. a Leon instead of a Golf, or an Exeo instead of an A4 :))

I also don't particularly care about the badge and have no loyalty for BMW or VAG cars.

Requirements
    Don't mind manual or auto
    Ideally I'd like something that has cruise control
    Air-con/climate control is a must!
    Preferably 09 reg or later

Other than those things, the car will be nothing more than a workhorse but I still want to be able to get out of it after 2 hours of driving feeling refreshed, not like I've been beaten to a pulp by an overly firm (or spongy) ride.

Tall order?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say you will struggle to find anything from 2009 onwards with some of those features for €7k.

If the spins are "all in one" go as you say a diesel would be fine, your criteria essentially means you need to look at stuff / sh1t that few others would consider..........

€5750 for a 2009 1.9 diesel 130bhp Laguna
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-laguna-1-9-dci-2009/8203725

35560590.jpeg

Another french candidate..........Peugeot 407 SW 2.0HDI, Full dealer service history, € 6,950

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-407-sw-2-0hdi-satnav/8238400

35724799.jpeg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

diesel best for long journeys

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

What about a Daihatsu Hi-Jet,I'd prefer it to the above Laguna

Plenty of boot space and high driving position

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/daihatsu-hi-jet-petrol/5965407

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Dia1988 wrote: »
    What about a Daihatsu Hi-Jet,I'd prefer it to the above Laguna

Plenty of boot space and high driving position

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/daihatsu-hi-jet-petrol/5965407

Surely this a joke reply? I can't think of anything worse for motorway driving of even just a few km!

Augeo wrote: »
    Another french candidate..........Peugeot 407 SW 2.0HDI, Full dealer service history, € 6,950

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-407-sw-2-0hdi-satnav/8238400

35724799.jpeg

I'd snap that up.

Get a warranty with it, and keep an eye on it.

I have a 407 myself and it's thrown up a few problems (but nothing major, and most of them I knew about before buying).

Mine is an 06 and the 407 is far and away the most comfortable car I think I've ever drove. Floats over rough road surface (ie; irish roads :P ). I really like it, and the estate is a nice looking motor too (I was torn on whether or not to go for the estate or saloon).

Also, that looks to have lots of little extras (reg plate makes me think it's an import?).

That's just my opinion though.

EDIT: Mine is also a 2 litre diesel. Not sure if that one being an estate makes much difference, by the saloon is no slouch when it comes to overtaking and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Some nice suggestions there although I think I'll give the hi-jet a miss (lol).

Yeah. I'll happily consider stuff that other people wouldn't consider, especially as this will be a second car.

So it doesn't look like I'll get much for 7k...I only moved back home from England a few months ago, having spent 10 years there, so I'm still thinking in pounds, not euro! Perhaps I should go to 9k...

I think you're mad for not jumping at the 407, to be honest. If I had the cash in my pocket I'd be seriously tempted by it (although i do think it's a car that needs a warranty, though apparently most of it's small problems were fixed after 07/08?).

I think that black gloss interior looks lovely in it.

But again, that's just me. I'd be hard pressed to spend an extra 2k on a car that's gonna be a "work horse" (as you put it). Everyone's different :)

Is there a particular car/style you like?

The 407 is a private sale.... No warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Saab 93

The 407 is a private sale.... No warranty.

So it is. For some reason I thought it was a dealer... Woops :o

Still take the arm off the chap though. Haggle a few euro off and put it aside. I should say that my 407, though it has given issues, they've been trivial issues for the most part. The car itself is running fine. And as far as I know later models than mine (09 being the last year of production for it i think?) didnt have as many trivial issues as most had been addressed by then anyway.

But again, only speaking for myself. I'd jump at it, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Normally, I would jump at it but I have a massive aversion to private sellers on DoneDeal.

Some inretesting options to consider.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Normally, I would jump at it but I have a massive aversion to private sellers on DoneDeal.

Some inretesting options to consider.

Establish how long he owns it, verify the service history & check the car out. Don't let your aversion cloud the issue.

For the money I'd be tempted to look at the Laguna. Although the seller is a possible example of why you are averse to alleged private sales on DD.

It really don't like those Lagunas, even though I like French cars in general.

I would buy a Citroen C5, although that 1.6 HDI is underpowered for the C5. But 5950 is an okay price!

36241358.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-citroen-c5-1-6-hdi-n-c-t-tax/8348366

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It really don't like those Lagunas, even though I like French cars in general.

I would buy a Citroen C5, although that 1.6 HDI is underpowered for the C5. But 5950 is an okay price!

36241358.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-citroen-c5-1-6-hdi-n-c-t-tax/8348366

If I was in the market for a car around that range and price I'd defo be looking at that C5, they're very high quality cars. Bargain.

... 1.6 HDI ...

Wouldn't consider any car with that engine under the bonnet an option.

Wouldn't consider any car with that engine under the bonnet an option.

Nonsense, I had a 107 bhp 1.6 tdci in a 05 Focus and it served me well. It had 180,000 miles on it when I sold it and still going strong.

However, I did maintain it very well.

The 1.6 tdci/hdi engine if abused or misses a service will be problematic more so than any other engine.

There is one flaw with them and that is the copper seals on the fuel injectors, if left to leak and unchanged it will lead to Turbo failure. Then you take your 1.6 tdci/hdi car to the garage and only replace the turbo and then a month or so later the turbo blows again. It's caused by those loose 2 euro copper injector seals!

As with all modern diesel cars, egr and dpf issues occur

But in general they are a good engine if a kittle underpowered. Although I upgraded to an 08 1.8 tdci Focus so maybe that's why I think they are underpowered.

Nonsense, I had a 107 bhp 1.6 tdci in a 05 Focus and it served me well. It had 180,000 miles on it when I sold it and still going strong.

However, I did maintain it very well.

The 1.6 tdci/hdi engine if abused or misses a service will be problematic more so than any other engine......

2nd hand they are a minefield.
    Not nonsense at all, plenty gave turbo issues with main dealer fsh too

The 1.8 tdci you upgraded to is a woeful engine imo. Crude, underpowered and heavy, only fit for a Sierra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Does it have to be a diesel, petol prices are coming down and this looks nice, apart from the stupid tax.

http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/renault-laguna-coupe-gt-nct-11-16/8321672

Diesel backup.

http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/renault-laguna-3-1-5dci-priv-nct-8-16-t/8115311

• Advertisement
Advertisement