Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which wood?

Options
  • 26-12-2014 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Plan to build a window seat come storage area next week. It will be an L shape with a liftable lid. Its for storing mops, hoover, brushes etc. I don't want any sharp edges as we have a small kid.

So which wood to use. If I use melamine chipboard the edges would be too sharp. Plywood wouldn't allow me to router rounded corners without chips? I'm worried about MDF getting wet and swelling but can't think of a decent alternative?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Would solid wood, or pineboard be within your budget? Pineboard is reasonably well available from the big diy retailers, i think, and might do the trick for you. Would probably be better than most of the engineered timber products you mention, particularly with a good finishing product.

I'd also suggest you think about how the timber might fit with other furniture or fixtures in the room - might be nice to match your window seat with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Never thought about pineboard. Seems like it would suit. I presume you would need to frame it up a bit for strength to use as a seat? The room is a mismatch of finishes as it is, so not too concerned with finish. I was thinking about a painted white if I went MDF route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Yeah but I'd think you'd need to do that with any sheet material anyway!

Another thought would be to use a plywood or other sheet and use a half-round or similar moulding to soften any edges.

Prenderb wrote: »
    Another thought would be to use a plywood or other sheet and use a half-round or similar moulding to soften any edges.

I have a few sheets on 18mm wbp ply lying around alright. Sounds a lot cheaper. Think thats me decided so. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Agree with others have said Pine board is a good alternative and its not super expensive either. I made two pieces with it this year

UnrAKnvl.jpg

L6x3PcHl.jpg

• Advertisement

What sort of money does Pineboard weigh in at? Seen it in B&Q last year and was afraid to look at the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

gutteruu wrote: »
    What sort of money does Pineboard weigh in at? Seen it in B&Q last year and was afraid to look at the price.

It cost me €65 a sheet but I got it local at a cabinet shop it might be cheaper in the likes of b&q etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

timberireland.ie quoted me recently;
    16ft 12 x 1 Southern Yellow Pine @ € 25.95 per length + Vat

16ft 12 x 2 Southern Yellow Pine @ € 51.95 per length + Vat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Use moisture resistant msg or birch ply. Pine board or lamwood is alright but there usually ends up with waste due to the grain orientation whereas the other works well for the little bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Don't go near Woodies or B+Q. You'll get the pine boards for half the price in Brooks

• Advertisement
Advertisement