Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Application Form CAO ; Dont have anything to fill in for ' Other Names ' Required

Options
  • 26-12-2014 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

So i'm stuck also plus theres no option to change it and i dont want risking losing my €25:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

isnt other names your first name? that's what we were told anyway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

isnt other names your first name? that's what we were told anyway....

No, anyway it was layed out like this:
    Surname ->
    Other Names ->
    Title ->

I putted my first name in title and surname in the surname box anyway i just put in my confirmation name on other names as they wouldnt let you skip the box dont understand why it is relevant to them..

No, anyway it was layed out like this:
    Surname ->
    Other Names ->
    Title ->

I putted my first name in title and surname in the surname box anyway i just put in my confirmation name on other names as they wouldnt let you skip the box dont understand why it is relevant to them..

I put Ms as my title, oh sh!t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Would title not be Mr/Miss etc and then surname is surname followed by first and second names into other names?

Would title not be Mr/Miss etc and then surname is surname followed by first and second names into other names?

I completed my application weeks ago like what you stated so I hope this is the correct way :eek::confused:

• Advertisement

I completed my application weeks ago like what you stated so I hope this is the correct way :eek::confused:
    But then when you log into your application on the website your name will be mentioned about twice? Like lets say my name is John Henderson.

It'll appear John John Henderson Henderson

So for certain ' Other Names ' is the exact same as your Middle Name

But then when you log into your application on the website your name will be mentioned about twice? Like lets say my name is John Henderson.

That's not appearing on mine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Title is Mr/Ms, etc.

Seriously, what are they teaching people today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Only if you put your first name into title. Title is definitely Mr/Ms/Dr so in your example it would be
    Mr John Mary Henderson

Title - Mr
    Surname - Henderson
    Other Names - John Mary

This is assuming there is no first name field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Title is Mr, Ms, Prof, Reverend, etc . . .

Surname is Smith, Jones, etc . . .

Other names is what ever is left over, so, you know . . . Mary, Brian, Emmanuel, wo'eva.

z

• Advertisement

Title is Mr/Ms, etc.

I know what title is. The CAO is stressful. I'm just helping the poster. :)

**** sorry my bad this is all a mistake D:

Didnt realise title was like Mr/Ms etc
    F***

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

Title is Mr/Ms, etc.

To be fair, have you ever seen an online form that had an "Other names" field and no "First name" field.

This is naturally going to cause confusion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If there is no 'First name' field, then "Other names" is PC speak for "Christian names", which in some cultures are not always the first name listed.

This Really caused me confusion as i never gave a second thought about it,
    Yeah Other Names caused me a lot of confusion and never seen it before D:

This Really caused me confusion as i never gave a second thought about it,
    Yeah Other Names caused me a lot of confusion and never seen it before D:

It's okay :) if you have made your application with this error, just simply call them in the new year. They'll fix it and I'm sure they won't charge you again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

A friend of mine answered with his first name in the Title field, middle name in the 'Other Names' field and surname in the Surname field last year..

Anyway, if you made a mistake with the name, that's no problem. Just contact the CAO soon and they'll change it for you.

Nim wrote: »
    A friend of mine answered with his first name in the Title field, middle name in the 'Other Names' field and surname in the Surname field last year..

Anyway, if you made a mistake with the name, that's no problem. Just contact the CAO soon and they'll change it for you.
    But really they should limit the amount of characters allowed to be typed out on the 'Title' field if they want to stop people making these silly mistakes, like up to 3-4 letters..
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

But really they should limit the amount of characters allowed to be typed out on the 'Title' field if they want to stop people making these silly mistakes, like up to 3-4 letters..
    :confused:

Or, better yet, have a dropdown menu like many other websites do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

'Surname' is your second name. McDonagh, Smith, Jones etc.

• Advertisement

'Surname' is your second name. McDonagh, Smith, Jones etc.
    Well that was an educated post, thanks for involving though ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's clear from this thread not everyone knows the sort of things many people take for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

With respect, you said above that you put your first name in the "title" field :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yes
    Cathalog wrote: »
    To be fair, have you ever seen an online form that had an "Other names" field and no "First name" field.
    Yes, lots of them these days. ;)

Anyway, I think the Great Nomenclature Mystery has now been solved! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement