Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grammar and LC English

Options
  • 26-12-2014 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

On the LC English course, what stylebook do they subscribe too? I know that marks are awarded for "grammar and mechanics," but does the grammar they refer to include things like serial commas or not splitting infinitives? Could I get away with spelling badly and calling it pri-Shksprn (misspelling intended)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭expiiplus1

Or if, in a story, I made a character speak using poor English in order to stereotype him, would this be held against me?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your first query is two parts. They are not going to penalise missing semi-colons etc., but they will very much penalise 'I seen him when he done that' or 'he could OF been quicker' occasions. They are almost inexcusable at HL.

Bad spelling without a waiver will be punished, though only up to a maximum mark. Sksprn is verging on txt spk and that wouldn't go down well at all, particularly at Higher Level.

The second query is fine as his poor English is part of his character, though I would steer clear of blatant stereotyping.

Advertisement