Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a few days of binge eating really make that much of a difference?

Options
  • 26-12-2014 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭

So many claim to pile on the pounds over the Christmas and then make a resolution in January to get into shape. Surely a few days of indulgence doesn't make that much of a difference?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

No, not a bit. Fire away, eat all you can and no need to exercise in January

It does not really. Your body dispenses with a lot of over indulgence without even processing it.

I think the "Christmas Bulge" comes more from a longer period letting go in the lead up - more than it does with the Christmas Binge itself. As the "new years resolutions" come into sight people let go of more and more controls with the intention of re-establishing them on January 1st.

But as with most things - our species sees patterns where none exist - and they have a tendency to blame it on the Christmas Binge itself. Unfairly so for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

It shouldn't, but it's not really a few days tbh. The whole month of December is bingey for most people with christmas parties and 'fcuk it it's nearly christmas', and add all that to the few pounds that we naturally put on in the winter to find yourself a bit roundy by New Years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I you're already in shape it wouldn't have much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

You will burn the calories by constantly getting up and down to go to the toilet-kitchen-sitting room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It can... but it all depends on what a person does.
    Large amounts of alcohol over several days (even 2 weeks for some) + fatty foods like chocolates, fry ups etc + no exercise = putting on weight :)

We're not talking about putting on 3 stone or anything. Put you will put on some weight and feel bloated. But it all depends on the person. Someone who doesn't go mad will have different results that someone who does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I'll probably start hitting the gym the day after tomorrow. I'm the sort that can't sit still for very long and I'm off work till the 5th so I've feck all else to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

If you think of how many calories you take in in a year at around 1million, then say you have an extra 1000 calories every day in December, thats a difference of 0.03% in your yearly calorie intake. Negligible. It's all about having a good baseline, then you can deal with the treats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I'll probably start hitting the gym the day after tomorrow. I'm the sort that can't sit still for very long and I'm off work till the 5th so I've feck all else to do.

Have you tried geocaching? great exercise off that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Yeah, who cares?

Everyone knows fat is energy gone to waist.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

it make a big difference

a huge one

Or jump into the nearest Ocean.

A lot of recent studies of eating have been very comical. They have tried to find similar schools and improve the eating habits of one and then much time later compare the overall results of fitness and obesity to the other. And embarrassingly for food science - the differences have been menial.

Which has lead others to look for alternative explanations for obesity in the US and other societies.

And the most interesting - but I stress unproven and untested - hypothesis is to blame obesity on modern clothing and AirCon and the like. Because as a warm blooded species we burn MOST of our calories on body temperature regulation. So as our regulation technology becomes more sophisticated - our internal systems have less work to do. So the calories we take in - simply do less.

So that tradition new years eve swim in the cold water on our country's beautiful coast line - might actually do more for burning off the Christmas binge than you might think. Especially when you do it in the birthday suit like I always insist on :)

And think a little more often on turning down your central heating. Its not just good for the Green Part...... sorry I mean the environment. It might actually be good for your figure too :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

it makes a big difference

a huge one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Absolutely not.
    Everyone indulges and puts on a pound or two over Christmas so once you revert to normality afterwards then you will get back to your usual habits on a short while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Ah jaysus! The guilt! Go away and let me gorge in peace here.

I hope it doesn't because I practically had to be carried up the stairs for a lie down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

And the traditional Christmas dinner is actually very healthy. Lean meats like ham and turkey that are great sources of protein, several veg and a few spuds.

That said, plenty of people stuff their faces all day with the likes of selection boxes, biscuit boxes, chocolate boxes. That's about the worst processed factory food you could possibly eat.

@taxAHcruel - I am sorry now I didn't go for a swim in the sea today. I have done it before on Christmas day and it was most invigorating :D

Another tip to add to your list: drink 2l of zero degrees ice water per day. Your body will have to heat this up to 37 degrees, and this heating alone uses about 100 calories.

unkel wrote: »
    @taxAHcruel - I am sorry now I didn't go for a swim in the sea today. I have done it before on Christmas day and it was most invigorating :D

New Years Day is still available to you.

Well to be pedantic EVERY day is available to you.

But if you want to mark an occasion you still have new years day.

And - perversely - I have noticed I get more praise for doing it on "womens Christmas" for reasons that the After Hours crowd will certainly mole hill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

unkel wrote: »
    And the traditional Christmas dinner is actually very healthy. Lean meats like ham and turkey that are great sources of protein, several veg and a few spuds.

That said, plenty of people stuff their faces all day with the likes of selection boxes, biscuit boxes, chocolate boxes. That's about the worst processed factory food you could possibly eat.

Another tip to add to your list: drink 2l of zero degrees ice water per day. Your body will have to heat this up to 37 degrees, and this heating alone uses about 100 calories.

Yes all that cardboard can't be good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I haven't completely indulged over Christmas. I lost a good chunk of weight this year and a further 2kg was lost in December so I don't plan on undoing any of my hard work. Made a plan with myself that Christmas Eve to Sunday would be days to indulge, within reason obviously. Throughout the rest of the year I keep sugar to an absolute minimum so from Christmas Eve to Sunday I'm going to indulge my sweet tooth etc but then come Monday back to normal with the cut. I will allow myself a bigger dinner than normal on New Year's Day but that's it.
    A few days of indulging won't kill you if you eat reasonably well the rest of the time, however, if you're always eating ****e then a few days of eating more ****e than usual probably won't do your health any favours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement