Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel Fuel additives - what do use and why

Options
  • 25-12-2014 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

As the thread asks - what additives do you use and why, please back-up with facts (Mileage, performance and major components serviced).

Have a Volvo S40 1.6D with 125K KM. Never used additives, service oil and filter on the button (14.5K) but want to use an additive to preserve my pocket against any major items going prematurely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Fiskar wrote: »
    As the thread asks - what additives do you use and why, please back-up with facts (Mileage, performance and major components serviced).

Have a Volvo S40 1.6D with 125K KM. Never used additives, service oil and filter on the button (14.5K) but want to use an additive to preserve my pocket against any major items going prematurely.
    If you want to ensure that your engine lasts longer then you would be best served by servicing it more frequently than the 14.5k interval.
    Drop it to 12k and you would be much better off than adding additives.
    My 2.0 TD non common rail diesel is serviced as below.
    2 stroke oil JASO FC or FD at a ratio of 200ml to a 52 litre fill.
    In the last 70k miles I have never had to touch any part of the fuel system apart from normal filters etc.
    I also change my oil + filters at 6k mile intervals with Mobil Delvac 15w40 mineral oil.
    Gearbox/Transaxle oil changed twice yearly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I add a one shot of 2-stroke oil to every tank of diesel. It lubricates the fuel pump and keeps the injectors fluffy. Other may disagree. I add it to a lot of vehicles, learnt through bitter, costly experience. I also drop the gearbox oil at every oil change, which is usually c.a. 4k miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

That seems very regular for gearbox oil changes. How many miles are you covering between your 6 monthly changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

I add a one shot of 2-stroke oil to every tank of diesel. It lubricates the fuel pump and keeps the injectors fluffy. Other may disagree. I add it to a lot of vehicles, learnt through bitter, costly experience. I also drop the gearbox oil at every oil change, which is usually c.a. 4k miles.
    New gearbox oil every 4k miles?? Are you using a sequential Gearbox or something???😳

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I am a firm believer in two stroke oil in Diesel everything runs so much sweeter and quieter, I don't believe modern fuel lubricity is anywhere near what it was before ULSD and mandatory Biofuel inclusion.
    Feel free to disagree, I am just going by my ear and experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I am a firm believer in two stroke oil in Diesel everything runs so much sweeter and quieter, I don't believe modern fuel lubricity is anywhere near what it was before ULSD and mandatory Biofuel inclusion.
    Feel free to disagree, I am just going by my ear and experience.

Might try some in my td primera. Have half a bottle of castrol 2t in the shed wasting space.

Only use a bit of diptane for the nct/doe. Not economical to use with every fill even buying in 5 litres. Didn't notice any mpg increases using it in my old t4 but it did run a bit better. Quieter smoother a bit pokier.

Have found stp fuel system cleaner good for cleaning carbed up cars that were running a bit rich.The pre nct pack they do. In a car running well I wouldn't bother with it. Once every 20k miles maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

I've used BG244 - smelled amazing - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0062KYGZC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00 - Can't say I noticed any real difference though.

Biggest problem was getting it into the tank as I was messing around pouring it in with a ton dish and then washing it into the tank with diesel from a gerry can. Probably more likely to get dirt into the tank doing that.

I have a bottle of http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/stp-diesel-treatment-200ml to go in next - cheaper but will be easier to pour in. Says it contains kerosene so that's probably all it is, will report back on how good it smells after I've used it =D

Main reason I use them is that my thermostat is failed at the minute so with the cold weather engine isnt coming up to temp probably, worried about the EGR not cleaning itself and blocking up. Probably not gonna have the car in the garage till March so hoping this will tide me over in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

Oh, also I read around that Texaco are one of the few brands to actually use decent additives with the fuel, they call it Techron. So every so often I fill up in a Texaco even though it might be a few cent extra per litre. Can't hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭mossy50

a good lash of DIPETANE is your only man
    i use it all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Dipe-sh*te. All it is, crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

dgt wrote: »
    Dipe-sh*te. All it is, crap

+1
    Best additive is whatever flammable oil i can find!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

When sitting in the waiting room for the DOE on the van a few months ago I got chatting with this chap who told me about the extra mpg he was getting by adding two stroke oil to his fill up.
    I had never heard of it before and to be honest I was / am still a bit sceptical about it.
    Anyway, his van was finished just ahead of mine and he was failed on emissions. He asks the tester how badly out was it and the tester said it was a fair bit off. So he explains about the two stroke, to which the tester rolled his eyes and told him to stop using it until he had done a few fills and went back for the re-test.
    Funnily enough my vehicle's emissions were spot on (130, 000 miles) and I mainly use the cheap D4 fuels and a local Applegreen for Diesel and no additives.
    So what are the real benefits of two stroke, if any, and has anyone had any DOE emission fails because of it.

Advertisement