Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cavan way walking trail prohibits dogs ?

Options
  • 25-12-2014 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hi all,

i am wanting to visit county cavan and surrounding counties.

im looking for good walking/hiking trails, especially those with areas of forests or woodlands i can walk through ( nothing beats a forest walk ).

but i am having difficulty finding any forested/woodland areas of significant size ( i do understand that ireland is the least wooded country in europe, shame, closely followed by the uk )

are there any good sized public woodlands or woodland parks in county cavan and surrounding counties, and if not, what about the rest of ireland ?
    i can see on maps etc that there is a bit of a woodland near kingscourt, but is there anything else equal or bigger ?

also, does the 20 mile long cavan way hiking trail not allow dogs on it ?, if not, then that is appalling, looks like me and my small dog are not welcome then ?, i hope that this unreasonable anti dog policy does not extend throughout ireland.

some people say ireland is a beautiful country, but from what i can gather on google maps there are hardly any wooded areas, its mainly all open fields and deforested plains, i hope im wrong in this assumption, but until im on the ground in ireland i wont get the full picture, but until im sure there is what im looking for, i wont visit,

this is why im asking for opinions and local knowledge on this board

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

dappydoo wrote: »
    hi all,

i am wanting to visit county cavan and surrounding counties.

im looking for good walking/hiking trails, especially those with areas of forests or woodlands i can walk through ( nothing beats a forest walk ).

but i am having difficulty finding any forested/woodland areas of significant size ( i do understand that ireland is the least wooded country in europe, shame, closely followed by the uk )

are there any good sized public woodlands or woodland parks in county cavan and surrounding counties, and if not, what about the rest of ireland ?
    i can see on maps etc that there is a bit of a woodland near kingscourt, but is there anything else equal or bigger ?

also, does the 20 mile long cavan way hiking trail not allow dogs on it ?, if not, then that is appalling, looks like me and my small dog are not welcome then ?, i hope that this unreasonable anti dog policy does not extend throughout ireland.

some people say ireland is a beautiful country, but from what i can gather on google maps there are hardly any wooded areas, its mainly all open fields and deforested plains, i hope im wrong in this assumption, but until im on the ground in ireland i wont get the full picture, but until im sure there is what im looking for, i wont visit,

this is why im asking for opinions and local knowledge on this board

cheers

The forest walk in kingscourt is called dun name ri. Is a similar one in Virginia called deerpark. Is where jonathan swift penned Gulliver's travels. Is a beech forest so a little sparse at this time of year.

I would doubt that dogs would be prohibited on the Cavan way. Seems highly unlikely but you could send an email to local county council offices to check. Dogs are not even prohibited from the newly opened burren geopark in that vicinity so doubt they would be on the Cavan way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Our forests were razed to provide timber for the war machine that was the British navy, we were an occupied territory and had no control
    Since the state was formed the level of forestry has increased from 1% to 10%
    And seems to be still increasing

If dogs aren't allowed on the Cavan way it's rediculious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The forest walk in kingscourt is called dun name ri. Is a similar one in Virginia called deerpark. Is where jonathan swift penned Gulliver's travels. Is a beech forest so a little sparse at this time of year.

I would doubt that dogs would be prohibited on the Cavan way. Seems highly unlikely but you could send an email to local county council offices to check. Dogs are not even prohibited from the newly opened burren geopark in that vicinity so doubt they would be on the Cavan way

Website says no dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dappydoo

Tigger wrote: »
    Our forests were razed to provide timber for the war machine that was the British navy, we were an occupied territory and had no control
    Since the state was formed the level of forestry has increased from 1% to 10%
    And seems to be still increasing

If dogs aren't allowed on the Cavan way it's rediculious

yes, i agree, the uk has had a hand in deforestation in eire, the evil capitalist machine in the uk continues to deforest apace, not just in the uk itself, but in eire as part of the financial bailout conditions imposed on eire, watch out, your forests are coming down to pay off the uk, please dont let it happen !

i am born and bred in the uk, but i can not wait to get out of this industrial car jammed deforested polluted money obsessed country, there is no quality of life here unless you are very wealthy, and yes, eire is not a whole lot better, but at least its not sold its soul completely to the capitalist wrecking machine, not yet anyway !

public access natural forests in the uk and eire are decreasing, plantations planted to harvest timber are not the same thing, its only the latter thats increasing in the uk and eire, purely to make a few timber barons wealthy.

and yes, im afraid the cavan way DOES prohibit dogs, i could not believe it when i read that on the officiall cavan way website, does not bode well for my dog walking plans in eire !?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Many of the cross country walks prohibit dogs as the areas are often farmed by sheep farmers who allow the walks happen.
    Sheep and dogs don't mix so it's best respect the rules or the farmers may well revoke the ability to cross their farmland.

You should be aware that the "rights" to walk the open country are definitely less in Ireland and so co operation with farmers is important. More upset farmers, will result in less walks for everyone.

Coilte woods will usually allow dogs but there are strict policies about keeping them on the lead. The Cavan Burren area marble arch areas are great for walks, you should google that and check out the Coilte website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

There are some lovely walks in Cootehill area in Belmont forest and Dartry forsest but you Must keep your dog on a lead as a lot of people are using the walks and trails and there is also a Parkrun on there every Saturday morning but is over by 10.30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dappydoo

muincav wrote: »
    There are some lovely walks in Cootehill area in Belmont forest and Dartry forsest but you Must keep your dog on a lead as a lot of people are using the walks and trails and there is also a Parkrun on there every Saturday morning but is over by 10.30am.

thanks for the lead, have checked it up on googlemaps, and yes, looks promising, so thanks again.

what is cootehill like to live in ?, i may try rent there whilst i explore the area.

any similiar suggestions as offered by muincav much appreciated, i would like to walk all the forests i can find !

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

dappydoo wrote: »
    thanks for the lead, have checked it up on googlemaps, and yes, looks promising, so thanks again.

what is cootehill like to live in ?, i may try rent there whilst i explore the area.

any similiar suggestions as offered by muincav much appreciated, i would like to walk all the forests i can find !

cheers

Dun A Ri in Kingcourt.

Deerpark in Virginia

KillyKeen just outside Cavan town

Castle Lake Forest Bailieborough

there is a wooded walk in Killeshandra

The Cavan Burren is also good

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Just wondering if you tried any of these walks and if so how did you get on? I see that mullaghmeen forest is not mentioned in any of the posts here. Seemingly is the largest beech forest in Europe? !
    It's a lovely forest to walk and my dog loves it. There are a few different walks you can do in it and you could easily spend the day there doing them.

Advertisement