Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget of 5500 all in

Options
  • 25-12-2014 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've decided I'm gonna treat myself to a new car this year and after saving up for a few months and selling a few bits and bobs I've come up with a budget of 5500, 6000 at a push. Doing about 300 km a week so I'm not sure if that justifies a diesel or not , thought I should get other peoples opinions before I took a plunge. The budget needs to include insurance and first years tax unfortunately :o I'm 22, male with 3 years named drivers experience and no claims.
    Was looking at ford focuses and volkswagen golfs but I'm open to anything really?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭vandriver

Have you any insurance quotes yet?
    This will make a ahem small difference to your purchasing budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,123 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As said, take a few examples of cars your interested in and get insurance quotes. Your insurance costs could eat into a fair chunk of your car spending budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I think I'll pay for insurance monthly out of my wages, so for a budget of say 5000 not including tax or insurance what would be peoples recommendations. Prefer a hatchback I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,123 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Something like a Corolla hatchback, 1.4 petrol is one of the liveliest in it's class, the Luna model is well speced and they are very reliable.

For example:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla/8095392

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I'm not sure why but corrollas have never taken my fancy. I've been looking at a 1.6 petrol 2006 volkswagen golf, anything to look out for on these or are they fairly mechanically reliable?

• Advertisement
Advertisement