Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Uk car dealer - haggle asking price

Options
  • 25-12-2014 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hi.
    I'm wondering what the situation is re haggling with dealers in the uk to get money off the asking price.
    I know in the likes of car giant that the asking price is the asking price generally.

But if buying from a dealer over there - would there generally be much scope for haggling?
    Say an asking price of £13k sterling - could I expect to get much off this listed price?

Looking at an Audi A4 if model makes any difference.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

If you're buying from an Audi franchised dealer , the best way to get value is to narrow down exactly what spec you want and then on a daily basis search the network online nationwide and you'll see bargains pop up sometimes,in more remote regions , all of course depending on supply . Be ready to ring and place a deposit straight away when value appears, buying over the phone and Internet would only apply to Franchised dealers.

On Haggling it's obviously better to point out alternative options (nationwide)of similar spec/age/miles cars to encourage discount, ie being from Ireland you can point out that you don't care which end of the uk the car comes from.

However , I wouldn't discount getting a bit of value here in Ireland from an Audi dealer as they're notorious for pre reging stock, just check them out nationwide first.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If your viewing in person try to mention that your over visiting a relative or over for work or any excuse so it doesn't seem you arrived over just to see one car and are desperate for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

I have been over for cars a few times, they are not into discounts much on price, would be guestimate £500 tops but I would not factor discount in to the price of the car, car giant actually add an admin fee to their prices!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I have done the uk thing about 4-5 times over the last few years. Discounts is not in their nature. Expect a seller to walk away over £50 or less sometimes. Depends on how desperate they are to sell.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

There's always some room for negotiation. The amount will depend on how well the car is priced, and how keen the dealer is to get rid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement