Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Called a girl the wrong name

Options
  • 25-12-2014 7:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Sooooo I called a girl the wrong name tonight and well Im not sure how to take it back, I apolgised straight away but I think the fact its her best friends name that has annoyed her.
    Any ideas how I should go about making her not hate me again :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Ask her would she prefer if you were with her best friend using her name!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

astonaidan wrote: »
    Any ideas how I should go about making her not hate me again :(

A decent person wouldn't make an issue of your very minor social faux pas. If you feel that you may have caused offence then you can apologise and then drop it. You don't want to make a big deal of a minor matter.

If somebody hates you after that, it's their problem, not yours.

Hard to know how to address this without knowing why you think it was a PARTICULAR name that annoyed her. Or are you projecting that yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

This is like something that would happen with 8 year old at a party. Seems like very childish stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

You got someones name wrong by a total mistake and they got all hostile towards you, but now you are the one concerned about your behaviour? Come on man, think it through for a minute, that person is not the kind of people you would want to be concerned about.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Always risky calling out their name, I prefer the standard "who's your daddy?" myself.

I guess it depends on the context, might be awkward if it was during sex.

buried wrote: »
    they got all hostile towards you

Am I reading the same OP as you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭buried

Am I reading the same OP as you?

Yes, we are. OP states "She got annoyed". Why would someone get so annoyed about something so minor thing unless they were a total plank?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Perhaps we both use a different meaning of the word "hostile" I guess. At least relative to the word "annoyed" which has always struck me in my language as being much more minor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

There have been a few one night stands where I have forgotten the girl's name and always opt to not mention it for fear of getting it wrong. I'm sure she'll calm down OP, just make it up to her.

• Advertisement

Was she a bit miffed or totally p!ssed?

Being peeved in a fleeting and inconsequential way is ok, flouncing around with a reproachful expression and a martyred determination to extract a pound of flesh...isn't.

I do this all the time. Especially with one girl I variously call her by a mutual friend's name, a girl whose name is the final syllable of her name and a name that's one letter different. She doesn't like when I do any of them. :P

I do this all the time. Especially with one girl I variously call her by a mutual friend's name, a girl whose name is the final syllable of her name and a name that's one letter different. She doesn't like when I do any of them. :P

That's conspicuously promiscuous wrong-naming :)

My mother goes through every family members name before she hits the jackpot with mine, it's not something I struggle to cope with. Thats just the way some people are with names.

Candie wrote: »

I've known her since we were 6 and 8 on-and-off and there's been various different circumstances, so there's different reasons for all of them. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

pfft, that's nothing. wait and see what they do when you ask them when they're due and they're not actually pregnant! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,692 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

What age is this girl OP? If's shes a grown adult she could do with copping on to herself in fairness, all it was was a simple slip of the tongue, happens all the time, plus you've apologised so that should be the end of it.
    On the other hand...
    If she's somewhere in the teenage years....well I'll have consult with a few episodes of Dawson's Creek and get back to ya!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Well guys Ive decided I dont care what she thinks, I feel Ive done enough apologizing.
    When I thought more about it, we were together for a few weeks and we decided to be friends, which I was cool with and just continued along as before flirting with girls and the likes.
    I think shes more angry that I moved on and didnt chase her :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

astonaidan wrote: »
    Well guys Ive decided I dont care what she thinks, I feel Ive done enough apologizing.
    When I thought more about it, we were together for a few weeks and we decided to be friends, which I was cool with and just continued along as before flirting with girls and the likes.
    I think shes more angry that I moved on and didnt chase her :confused:

Great! Now you can ask her best friend out like you always wanted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Great! Now you can ask her best friend out like you always wanted!

Ha I actually find her friend boring, but she has her on a pedestal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

OP why the hell was she so upset? Surely she's had Freudian Slips before.

When I was a younger man, I was seeing a girl for 3 weeks and had no clue who what her name was. I had her saved in my phone as "girl from bar" and she texted me asking me to go out. I was hesitant to ask her name in case she got angry so I decided to go out with her anyway thinking she might say her name in conversation. She didn't, and as time went on the chances of her hitting me in the head with something for not knowing her name got higher. Eventually I was scribbling different words and names on a napkin in a pub I had the genius idea of asking "how do you spell your name, I know some people spell it differently" she responds "how many ways are there to spell Jessica?" and I go "I suppose you're right Jess".... She says "my name is Tara". I went red and apologized and she walked out in a huff.

Luckily we're mates now and we laugh about it regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

You didn't call your GF by your Ex's name by mistake, did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

OP why the hell was she so upset? Surely she's had Freudian Slips before.

When I was a younger man, I was seeing a girl for 3 weeks and had no clue who what her name was. I had her saved in my phone as "girl from bar" and she texted me asking me to go out. I was hesitant to ask her name in case she got angry so I decided to go out with her anyway thinking she might say her name in conversation. She didn't, and as time went on the chances of her hitting me in the head with something for not knowing her name got higher. Eventually I was scribbling different words and names on a napkin in a pub I had the genius idea of asking "how do you spell your name, I know some people spell it differently" she responds "how many ways are there to spell Jessica?" and I go "I suppose you're right Jess".... She says "my name is Tara". I went red and apologized and she walked out in a huff.

Luckily we're mates now and we laugh about it regularly.

Should have just asked her her name, then when she got all huffy interject with "I meant your second name, you hardly think I'm that bad?".

You can then proceed to ride off into the sunset on a white steed, Marlboro hanging out the side of your mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Candie wrote: »

My mother goes through every family members name before she hits the jackpot with mine, it's not something I struggle to cope with. Thats just the way some people are with names.

At least it's being kept in the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Should have just asked her her name, then when she got all huffy interject with "I meant your second name, you hardly think I'm that bad?".

You can then proceed to ride off into the sunset on a white steed, Marlboro hanging out the side of your mouth.

If only I was that smooth.

Advertisement