Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

62 Res Cav Questions

Options
  • 25-12-2014 3:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hey there,

Joining the RDF at the moment (fitness test passed and interview held at CBB) but wondered if anyone could answer these questions about continuation training to join cav:

1. Do 2* privates join the corp of their choice (if accepted) after their first FTT or is this not possible until they've completed their 3* and second FTT the year after? To put this another way, how long after becoming a 2* does the average person have to wait before joining the cav (or any other) corps of their choice/allocation?

2. Can 2*s apply for driving cses and testing/certification in their first year? If so, about how long (realistically) does it take to get onto one of these?

3. How long do such courses take and what's the format, e.g. over how long are they spread out usually? I was thinking of the conversion course for the Pajero (already have my full B permit) but I'm also interested in the motorbike cse, as well as some of the larger vehicles such as minibuses, etc.

4. Do RDF cav personnel ever get the chance to learn to drive MOWAGs and tanks or are these only taught to PDF?

5. How are decisions made for RDF cav soldiers in terms of who ends up being the driver, gunner, etc? Do they take into account people's preferences or is it random/who's longest in/or what?

Any other opinions/facts about joining the cav corps are much-appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

1. AFAIK, under the current process, you apply to the unit you wish to join.

2. I believe you need to have completed 3 star training prior to applying for any other courses, including drivers courses

3. For a conversion course, you need to have a full licence. Regarding other driving courses, duration's vary, some can take up to a year of RDF training to complete.

4. At present, and AFAIK, no. There are however RDF drivers qualified to drive Scanias, so it may be possible in the future, but Mowag driver courses are high priority for the PDF, so I would not be pinning my hopes on it happening any time soon.

5. Usually, all crew members are qualified to do all jobs in the crew, so it would usually be based on seniority, ie the highest rank would command.

The Cav will give you a lot of variety in terms of courses and skills that you can develop. Dismounted recce is something that is of great importance. Also 62 Cav ceased to exist in 2013 with the introduction of the single force concept, they are now the reserve element of 2 Cav.

Your profile says that you are in Cork, if that is the case, you should look into 1 Cav.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Thanks for the info, Odin. Much appreciated.

Just re: the first question or two: Does that mean that I can join cavalry once I've completed 2*? Or are we all infantry until 3* has been reached?

My profile says I'm in Cork (must change that) but I'd actually be based at Cathal Brugha because I've lived in Dublin the past while.

Thanks again, buddy.

The way it worked up until now was that you applied to the unit to join them directly. If you were in the Cav, you got the Glengarry and went off on centralised recruit training, once completed you returned to unit as a 2* and the following year went back to a central 3* course. Once you are qualified as a finished 3* training you can apply for other courses, or go on unit camps.

I do not believe that this process has changed with the recent competitions that have been run, so the best thing to do would be to make contact with 2 Cav early in the new year to confirm details with them. They should have a list of interested people, and when the next recruitment competition is advertised apply for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

odin_ie wrote: »
    The way it worked up until now was that you applied to the unit to join them directly. If you were in the Cav, you got the Glengarry and went off on centralised recruit training, once completed you returned to unit as a 2* and the following year went back to a central 3* course. Once you are qualified as a finished 3* training you can apply for other courses, or go on unit camps.

I do not believe that this process has changed with the recent competitions that have been run, so the best thing to do would be to make contact with 2 Cav early in the new year to confirm details with them. They should have a list of interested people, and when the next recruitment competition is advertised apply for it.

Okay, that sounds good.

In terms of contacting 2 Cav, perhaps I should contact them now as I'm already halfway through the application process (just the medical and Garda clearance to go). How would it be best to contact a specific corps, do you reckon?

Thanks.

Either a direct call to the main switch in the Brugha and ask for 2 Cav Orderly Room, or contact the person listed for 2 Bde on the following link http://www.military.ie/reserve/want-to-find-out-more/

• Advertisement
Advertisement