Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How best to enjoy Vodka

Options
  • 24-12-2014 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

I was sent a bottle of Estonian vodka in the post from a friend - VIRU VALGE - how exactly do i drink this - straight or with mixers and if so - what?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Add coffee liqueur and milk, stir, then pour over ice. The Dude abides. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I only have the 40% Vol :) would love to try the higher version :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

however you want to.

there are plenty of drink snobs who'll try to tell you that mixing such and such spirit, or adding ice or serving it cold or from a wellington boot or licked off a model's eyes is the "wrong way" to drink a drink.

It's all bull though.

Enjoy it how you want to, there are no laws, rules or anything. What is important is that YOU enjoy it, not what some crank thinks is how YOU should enjoy it.

To get the most out of it though, serve it chilled. Vodka is a neutral spirit.

Or, if you prefer, lob in some coke, ice and a slice of lemon and drink it like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Silly question but can you drink vodka neat?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

put it in the freezer for a day. drink it straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Did a Stolichnaya Masterclass in the autumn. Neat. Take a tiny sip on your tongue, raise it to the roof of your mouth and let it evaporate. The rest of the shot will taste completely different, you should be able to identify all the flavours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

An File wrote: »
    Add coffee liqueur and milk, stir, then pour over ice. The Dude abides. :cool:

Caucasions. Oh yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

I like to drink it Eastern European style.
    Chilled bottle.
    Plenty of food on the table ( meat, fish etc )
    Seperate glass of juice to follow taking a chilled shot.
    Then a piece of meat or whatever is going.
    Best with a group of friends and a totally different effect than drinking beer, a cleaner type of drunkeness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Chilled bottle.
    Best with a group of friends and a totally different effect than drinking beer, a cleaner type of drunkeness :)

that is a good way of drinking. Finlandia would be choice of vodka for the matter.

Tried it with Glens vodka once, we ended up throwing it down the sink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Chilled bottle.

Was at that just a few hours ago. I'm in Poland at the moment and we went visiting her brother and some extended family. Had a fantastic Christmas feast and got to sample both Krupnik and Zubrowka clear vodkas in between lots of food.

Definitely the best way to enjoy it that I've come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Silly question but can you drink vodka neat?
    Lived next door to Russians when I was in college, they got my entire house onto drinking vodka neat. My personal favorite was the black pepper vodka they used to make themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

that is a good way of drinking. Finlandia would be choice of vodka for the matter.

Tried it with Glens vodka once, we ended up throwing it down the sink
    Where did you get glens vodka? though cheap it is rated very highly.

Ian Wisniewski, one of Britain's leading spirits experts, and Tom Innes, the former editor of bar and lifestyle magazine, Theme

VODKA TEST
    After tasting the following vodkas blind with spirits experts Ian Wisniewski and Tom Innes, here are the winners and the losers. All the vodkas are widely available.
    1st: Glen's (£8.69)
    2nd: Russian Standard (£13.29)
    3rd: Absolut (£14.99)
    4th: Wyborowa (£15.99)
    5th: Finlandia (£14.19)
    Joint 6th: Smirnoff Red (£12.19);
    Stolichnaya (£14.99);
    Belvedere (£30)
    9th: Grey Goose (£30.79)
    10th: Smirnoff Black (£15.99)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/wine/5770943/10-vodkas-put-to-the-test.html

Glens is molasses based, so is tesco "everyday value vodka". Most homedistillers will use sugar based washed to make vodka.

I like freezing cold pressed apple juice with vodka. Either mixed or a glass on the side drank after taking a bit of vodka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

I like it with ice, soda water and a chunk of lime.

Or mixed with Martini and a lemon twist

If it is Bison Grass Vodka I stick it in the freezer and either have it neat with food or mixed with apple juice.

Sometimes I have it with Coke, ice and a lemon slice.

Advertisement