Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value GYM? Cork City

Options
  • 24-12-2014 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Any idea for new year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

This thread wouldn't be created by a certain gym owner opening a new place on cork soon would it? If so, cheap advertising!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

koriko wrote: »
    This thread wouldn't be created by a certain gym owner opening a new place on cork soon would it? If so, cheap advertising!
    Did I mention a name? I just want to get fit......

askU wrote: »
    Did I mention a name? I just want to get fit......

Kool, I hear that new place in Mahon point is excellent! Energies fitness I think it's called.

Kool, I hear that new place in Mahon point is excellent! Energies fitness I think it's called.

I didnt know that one existed! Any Glanmire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

GYM? What the hell is a GYM?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

GYM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

That energie place is very expensive especially without a pool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What do you want to do in the gym? If it's running or pedalling there are loads of free runs you can do and the cork bike scheme is 50c for an hour on the bike. Those are some fairly cheap options!

January is the month when gyms make their money for the whole year, so they will be pretty jointed!

PS... Did you read your wiki link? That's the american gym. That's PE here. Are you looking for a school with pe?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

It really depends what you want, personally I've no interest in a pool so I'm a member of Dennehys in B.Collig and its opening a 2nd gym in Douglas in the next few days, suits me really as one very close to me in Mahon is more suited to a healthclub, it has a pool but its too expenisve for what it offers and Rochestown Park is too expensive also, for what I want or need.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    It really depends what you want, personally I've no interest in a pool so I'm a member of Dennehys in B.Collig and its opening a 2nd gym in Douglas in the next few days, suits me really as one very close to me in Mahon is more suited to a healthclub, it has a pool but its too expenisve for what it offers and Rochestown Park is too expensive also, for what I want or need.
    Only a matter if time before this place was mentioned. The spinning bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Good spinning bikes or bad?

I'm looking for a mixture of cardio (spinning etc) and weights but prefer option with pool to help with rehab/prehab work I need to do with my back..

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

You're going to have to be more specific, I mentioned 3 options that suited me best (distance wise)

The OP may want a pool or may not, they may want places with classes. TBH, anyone can find a gym thats the best for them if theyre willing to comprimise certain aspects, locality is probably my best pet hate so the closest and reasonable priced, wins out every time.

shaka wrote: »
    Good spinning bikes or bad?

I'm looking for a mixture of cardio (spinning etc) and weights but prefer option with pool to help with rehab/prehab work I need to do with my back..

Don't go here for spinning- the bikes are really bad, they're continuously broken or breaking mid way through a class. The room the spinning is on has no air con and the all the instructors except one, Laura, don't actually spin themselves.
    I'll also add the single room in this gym that holds classes has a really filthy carpet- yes carpet!! Very off putting doing any form of exercise, burpees etc.
    The staff are nice, push personal training- rates for which are high compared to other gyms like the planet in Blackpool etc.
    The changing rooms gone dirty and unkept the last few months- Douglas no doubt will be better but will probably quickly downhill like ballincollig- advice is to ask for a weeks pass which most gyms give nowadays, maybe not in early January as it's their busiest time though

• Registered Users Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Why did the gym in Washington street close down? The one next to Reardens

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭coolkidirish

I go to Dennehys out in Ballincollig and they are very affordable. €35 per month, they just opened a second gym in Douglas Shopping Centre at the start of this month and my membership covers be going to both. Douglas is a bit far for me personally, but might suit others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Donieh

Don't go here for spinning- the bikes are really bad, they're continuously broken or breaking mid way through a class. The room the spinning is on has no air con and the all the instructors except one, Laura, don't actually spin themselves.
    I'll also add the single room in this gym that holds classes has a really filthy carpet- yes carpet!! Very off putting doing any form of exercise, burpees etc.
    The staff are nice, push personal training- rates for which are high compared to other gyms like the planet in Blackpool etc.
    The changing rooms gone dirty and unkept the last few months- Douglas no doubt will be better but will probably quickly downhill like ballincollig- advice is to ask for a weeks pass which most gyms give nowadays, maybe not in early January as it's their busiest time though

I got a weeks pass for Dennehys this week. Went 4 times- 2 personal sessiins and 2 classes (Spinning and circuit). Had no issues with Spinning bikes except they nearly killed me as it was my first ever spinning class!!
    Was looking out for a carpet as i read the above previously but nothing of the sorts is in there.

Joined up today for 6 months, looking forward to it and delighted to know that I can also access Douglas too!
    If anyone is interested suggest ask for a pass to try it out first.
    Donieh

Donieh wrote: »
    I got a weeks pass for Dennehys this week. Went 4 times- 2 personal sessiins and 2 classes (Spinning and circuit). Had no issues with Spinning bikes except they nearly killed me as it was my first ever spinning class!!
    Was looking out for a carpet as i read the above previously but nothing of the sorts is in there.

Joined up today for 6 months, looking forward to it and delighted to know that I can also access Douglas too!
    Donieh

Yes there is carpet- it's easy to view it in the pictures on their website too

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭coolkidirish

Donieh wrote: »

Donieh

You should call into their one in Douglas!! I went in yesterday to check it out and it is amazing! 2 floors and is massive! Highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

I'm in Rochestown and it's a grand place. The place is a bit pricey but there are a lot of pros-Good facilities, generally nice people attending, nice staff and a good pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi.

I'm attending personal training sessions in Dennehy's in Ballincollig and it is alright as well. It's 35 a month direct debit which is great value if you just want a gym. The staff are nice there too. It can be busy downstairs. The carpets are grand there now

• Advertisement

thanks all

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

CZ 453 wrote: »
    I'm in Rochestown and it's a grand place. The place is a bit pricey but there are a lot of pros-Good facilities, generally nice people attending, nice staff and a good pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi.

I'm attending personal training sessions in Dennehy's in Ballincollig and it is alright as well. It's 35 a month direct debit which is great value if you just want a gym. The staff are nice there too. It can be busy downstairs. The carpets are grand there now

Have you been in the mornings? Is it busy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Have you been in the mornings? Is it busy ?

Yes I have been there at most times(lack of routine). It is generally quiet both in the pool and gym. They have introduced free classes. I have the leaflet here so some of those can be busy(10-15 people). If you can call that busy.

On Dennehys. They are quite busy around lunch time. I haven't been there in the evenings so I can't call on that. The mornings are quiet also.

I prefer a bit of space.

Advertisement