Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Egan's Off Licence Portlaoise

Options
  • 24-12-2014 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

just went into egans off licence there to get few last bits a bottle of jack daniels standard 700ml bottle and a 1.5ltr of coke and was charged just over 37 euros. they were just closing the doors when i bought them, i haven't a clue of prices of spirits so it got me wondering after i came out was i ripped off or whats the price of jd usually!?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Nodferatu wrote: »
    just went into egans off licence there to get few last bits a bottle of jack daniels standard 700ml bottle and a 1.5ltr of coke and was charged just over 37 euros. they were just closing the doors when i bought them, i haven't a clue of prices of spirits so it got me wondering after i came out was i ripped off or whats the price of jd usually!?!

33.99 from drinkstore.ie so probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Looking at o'briens off licence site a bottle of ordinary JD is €34.99

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Jack D is
    €26 in Supervalu
    €26.99 in O'Briens
    €27 in Tesco.

Best value is Marshalls in Aldi @ €16, which is just as good if you're using mixers, add about €1 for coke and
    you could have saved yourself €20.

QIvsX1V.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Jack D is
    €26 in Supervalu
    €26.99 in O'Briens
    €27 in Tesco.

Best value is Marshalls in Aldi @ €16, which is just as good if you're using mixers, add about €1 for coke and

QIvsX1V.png

They are all chain stores. A local off license cant compete with a chain of supermarket with several billions of turnover.Plus local off licenses can charge a premium for knowledge and convenience. Try ask for advice in a local lidl on wine

OP if you werent happy with the price, you shouldnt have it. I know its not the comment you want to here. But a rip off is subjective

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

hfallada wrote: »
    Try ask for advice in a local lidl on wine

That's a bit of a leap. My 19yo cousin works in the local off license, and he's often the only person on duty. What he knows about wine you could write on the back of a stamp and send it to Michael Broadbent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Jack D is
    €26 in Supervalu
    €26.99 in O'Briens
    €27 in Tesco.

QIvsX1V.png
    There's no comparison between that and Jack Daniels for flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

f**k thats a big difference, €11. i know in future i wont be going anywhere near off licence its tesco or supervalu. honestly didnt have the time and patience to go around town on new years eve but ill know where to look in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

f**k thats a big difference, €11. i know in future i wont be going anywhere near off licence its tesco or supervalu. honestly didnt have the time and patience to go around town on new years eve but ill know where to look in future.

Get the boozedoc app. Shows you cheapest prices in the area

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

athtrasna wrote: »
    Get the boozedoc app. Shows you cheapest prices in the area

that app doesn't include independent off-licences, only chains & supermarkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    that app doesn't include independent off-licences, only chains & supermarkets.

True but they usually have the cheapest prices to start with

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

athtrasna wrote: »
    True but they usually have the cheapest prices to start with

yeah, but independents can be just as cheap & they don't get included for some reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's no comparison between that and Jack Daniels for flavour.

Yes - it doesn't taste of mouthwash, Jack Daniels does...

If you're drinking bourbon straight you'd want something much better than JD; and if you're mixing it, near anything will do.

You can get very good bourbons for roughly the same price or less than JDs non-offer price if you do want to drink it straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

didnt have the time and patience to go around town on new years eve

you have 3 days to plan........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

TheDriver wrote: »
    you have 3 days to plan........

im a man... oh and it was very last minute unplanned present

Advertisement