Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice For Passing Higher Level Math 2015?

Options
  • 23-12-2014 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

How does one pass a higher level math exam for their leaving cert?

From my experience, I am able to answer a majority of questions in my Text & Test books quite smoothly, but when it comes to doing the papers it's a whole different ball game. I usually take the strategy of identifying the problem by re-reading the questions two or three times, I then attempt to identify what topics that problem requires me to utilize (e.g. I'll need to use Conditional Probability and Margin of Error for this) and then I dive in. I'm not sure if it's a good method but it's the only one I know.

My mocks are approaching and at the moment I'm desperately aiming to just pass the entire exam, passing for me is getting at least a C3.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Well from reading your post it seems fair to say that you are ok with the theory but you are having problem with applying the theory . So the problem seems to be application ?

The problems in hl maths seem to test your knowledge of certain chapters in abstracts ways. The more you practice abstract exam paper questions the better you will get at them . Applying theory gets better with practice . In physics you have to do this a lot .
    If you know the theory well enough you should be able to figure out what formula etc you are supposed to use .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Tet2015 wrote: »
    How does one pass a higher level math exam for their leaving cert?

From my experience, I am able to answer a majority of questions in my Text & Test books quite smoothly, but when it comes to doing the papers it's a whole different ball game. I usually take the strategy of identifying the problem by re-reading the questions two or three times, I then attempt to identify what topics that problem requires me to utilize (e.g. I'll need to use Conditional Probability and Margin of Error for this) and then I dive in. I'm not sure if it's a good method but it's the only one I know.

My mocks are approaching and at the moment I'm desperately aiming to just pass the entire exam, passing for me is getting at least a C3.

Any advice?

Constantly doing exam papers. I'm like you, the textbook questions are fine but once you get to the exam papers they can be challenging, but the more I did them, the more Project Maths "clicked". Pick a topic like Complex Numbers and do every question in your papers without the aid of books and notes, see how far you go each question before you run into trouble. Leave it and go onto the next one and so on. Go back to the first one you had trouble with and this time use your book and see if you can solve it, if not see the marking scheme (if it's a sample paper you're caught but ask your Maths teacher nicely after class to see if they can guide you!) This has worked for me so far but I don't expect to do tremendously well for the Mocks. Also, people on the 6th Year OT thread are very helpful if you do get stuck ;)

Good luck with the study, I hope it goes well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

A D3 is a pass :)

Advertisement