Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Soliciter To Change Name

Options
  • 23-12-2014 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I am changing my name in january 2015 and I am looking for a soliciter to do the whole package as in do the deed poll and enrol it in the high court.

I have contacted several in my area which is galway and fees ranged from 180-350 but none of them can enrol it they say i have to go to dublin and do it myself.

I wouldnt mind going to a soliciter in dublin if they will enrol it for me.

Going to dublin to enrol it means i have to take a day off to be in the high court before 12 pm

I need it enrolled so i can change my name on my drivers licence which require enrollment in the high court.

Can a soliciter enrol a deed poll by power of attorney ?

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

All Solicitors outside the Dublin Met area have Dublin Agents who look after filings in the Four Courts etc.

I.e. you don't have to employ a Dublin based solicitor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

You have to enrol it in the Central Office of the High Court yourself, a solicitor can't do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

you will need your passport changed too as NDLS ask for two forms of ID - the passport will have to reflect your new name. Changing the passport will require two years continuous use - revenue or bank statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Tc1234

You have to enrol it in the Central Office of the High Court yourself, a solicitor can't do it for you.

"Your solicitor may also actually represent you in court, although in the High Court and the Supreme Court, a barrister will usually be engaged."

Taken from citizensinformation.ie

A solicitor approached me on this forum offering to do the whole thing without me having to leave Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Tc1234 wrote: »
    "Your solicitor may also actually represent you in court, although in the High Court and the Supreme Court, a barrister will usually be engaged."

Taken from citizensinformation.ie

A solicitor approached me on this forum offering to do the whole thing without me having to leave Galway.

Yeah, but if it is going to be enrolled in the Central Office (not really necessary) you will need to go there yourself. Just find out if it will be enrolled before you instruct a solicitor.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but if it is going to be enrolled in the Central Office (not really necessary) you will need to go there yourself. Just find out if it will be enrolled before you instruct a solicitor.

It's just for my driver's licence, they say it has to be enrolled or else you will have to have 2 years of usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP AFAIK you dont need a solicitor/barrister at all. I have heard you just go to the courts with the right documents and its done fairly quickly

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/problems_in_marriages_and_other_relationships/changing_your_name_by_deed_poll.html

I would if I lived in dublin but as I live in galway, going to dublin and being in the high court before 12 is a stubble, that is a whole day I have to take off to travel 6hours and to collect it another 6 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Tc1234 wrote: »
    I would if I lived in dublin but as I live in galway, going to dublin and being in the high court before 12 is a stubble, that is a whole day I have to take off to travel 6hours and to collect it another 6 hours.

Just get the train, takes a little over 2 hours. Yes, occasionally, you have to take days off work to accommodate important changes to your personal circumstances.

Courts.ie has a good guide on what you need to do in order to enrol the deed poll in the High Court. It involves verifying your identity so you will need to present in person.

• Advertisement
Advertisement