Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is "applied sign language" for the leaving cert?

Options
  • 23-12-2014 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I remember hearing somewhere that you can take sign language with the leaving cert or something, is this true? I tried google but didn't get anything so im guessing not :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

dylanp wrote: »
    I remember hearing somewhere that you can take sign language with the leaving cert or something, is this true? I tried google but didn't get anything so im guessing not :(

It's part of LC Applied, but I think one has to be deaf to take it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No, you don't have to be deaf to take it, unless they have changed the rules. They do it in a number of schools as another language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

spurious wrote: »
    No, you don't have to be deaf to take it, unless they have changed the rules. They do it in a number of schools as another language.

I know practically nothing about the LCA, but remember researching something and thinking I'd read that. The only mention in this curriculum document is to "Sign Language for participants from the deaf community." But maybe there's another way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I know practically nothing about the LCA, but remember researching something and thinking I'd read that. The only mention in this curriculum document is to "Sign Language for participants from the deaf community." But maybe there's another way to do it.

That document says that there are four sign language modules and deaf students can take all four in place of Irish and modern languages. It also says that alls students can take the first two sign language modules as their language elective along with Irish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

So many good things about the LCA and it's left rot. :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement