Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance Rip Off

Options
  • 23-12-2014 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Any insurance companies out there whose prices AREN'T rising despite no penalty points and maximum no claims bonus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In general, no. Market prices are rising, individual experiences are useless

You need to contact as many insurers as is practical for quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

phone them up and haggle and give some bs about a cheaper quote elsewhere..they'll usually give you a bit off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    Any insurance companies out there whose prices AREN'T rising despite no penalty points and maximum no claims bonus?

aig.ie and go for the xlnt quote

http://www.aig.ie/smart-driver-car-insurance_3192_557018.html

yes they can monitor your driving behaviour, but discounts are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

No, they are up across the board. For many reasons. My premium went up this year with an extra year no claims no points no claims etc.

As said above, ring around and give Chill a ring. I've normally done the ring around the best offers have typically been Chill. Happy enough to have them do the legwork now so I just ring them and don't bother ringing the rest.

For a number of years found the operators not dealing with Chill were outragously overpriced, so figure I won't bother and save myself the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Chill have consistently been awful for me when it comes to quotes, I also have friends who work sales and claims for them and all of them have warned me off taking out a policy there. Was with 123 but my premium went from 550 up to 670 this year with no change to my record or circumstances. Rang around and eventually got quoted 450 with AIG so I added a load of extras to bring it back up to 520.

AIG's original quote was 830 but they took my 7 years named driver experience into account along with my 2 years own insurance, so make sure to press them on that if you get a quote. They're the only insurer who'd do that for me. 123 got really snotty with me when I tried to get them to do the same and weren't interested in the fact that they were quoting me 200 more for a comparable policy (not counting all their stupid hidden fees like 40 quid to change your address).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

I found Aviva very competitive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Any insurance companies out there whose prices AREN'T rising despite no penalty points and maximum no claims bonus?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately you and I are paying for those increasing numbers who do not fall into this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

well i changed to AIG this year and mine went down by 100eur and could have had a further 200eur discount if i installed an app on my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 5 frankmiller

Have you taken out an xlnt driver policy?

I got a very good quote from AIG this year if I use the app (€250 less than closest quote) but I can't find any user reviews.

Can they penalise you for bad driving?

Is the app any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I got a very good quote from AIG this year if I use the app (€250 less than closest quote) but I can't find any user reviews.

Is the app any good?

I didn't got for this specifically because I haven't a notion what info they're collecting. I also don't want my phone battery draining because the app is using all of the sensors and location and pinging like a mad bastard...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Is the app any good?

The xlnt policy would have been another 200 saving (im fully comp). Howver they were very vague when I asked what they got out of it. The way they portray it is that you save even MORE money if you have it. And there is no downside...

I passed..any potential consequences not worth 200 saving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

Mine went up 50e this year - with Liberty

Is the app any good?

I've done 1400 miles on the app and have a score of 81. If I get to av 85, I get extra 25% off renewal. Driving on ring of kerry earlier gave me a 90/100 score, but motorway from adare to kildare was a 68 pointer.

they don't penalise for low scores, you don't have to have it on all the time - you can select manual or auto start.
    Only information they collect is speed, motion (smoothnesd of driving) and whether phone is in use. - they give all t&c on the app itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 frankmiller

Yea that sounds like a good deal. The quote is almost too cheap to walk away from (390 instead of 549). I have been driving strictly under the speed limit and as smooth as possible to see how annoying it would be. There are some very long straight stretches by me with no turns or junctions that are 50kph zones and its pretty annoying.

Yea that sounds like a good deal. The quote is almost too cheap to walk away from (390 instead of 549). I have been driving strictly under the speed limit and as smooth as possible to see how annoying it would be. There are some very long straight stretches by me with no turns or junctions that are 50kph zones and its pretty annoying.

You can change the setting so that you manually start the app.

Speed is only one component - smooth driving, phone use and time of day are the others. (it's all on the "i" button)

Very difficult to get to the 85 mark, i'm at 81 and find it very difficult to get much higher without being totally bored with driving.

A motorway run, even at 110-120kmh will give a 70 score, whereas at 100kph will give an 8- score. Seems its a combination of both speed limit and actual speed, so even at 120 on a motorway it give a lower score than 80 in an 80kph zone as a crash at 120 is more serious than a crash at 80kph.

One negative is herslf can see EXACTLY where I've been!! :):)

While it may not be the case for everyone, as I needed Class 1 insurance they decided not to ask me to use that sodding app and the quote was still much cheaper than anyone else for standard SD&P insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Mine went up €30 this year to €450 with 123.ie. Found a €60 cheaper quote (€390) with its4women.ie who have a sister site called 25plus.ie which gives similar quotes.

Renewal not for a couple of weeks, going to ring 123 and say I got a quote of €370 and see what they'll offer me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Insured with liberty for 370 last year, this year's quote shot up to 770!!!!:eek: With no change in circumstance, no claims, no points, nothing. Unreal.

All other insurers are coming in around 470 now, i have no idea why liberty would go up by 400 quid. Very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭monicaali

mine stayed the same with hibernian aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emy

Mine went up with around 48% AA car Insurance comprehensive. These insurance companies make nice money.
    From 325 to €485, over 7 years no claim bonus..... no change in circumstance.

• Advertisement

Mine went up to €476 with RSA through a broker.

rang Aviva directly and was quoted €280 full comprehensive for myself and Mrs Torment. Well happy with that. The only difference I see is a €300 excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭monicaali

2 years mine went up 600+ with RSA i rang around and got 595 fully comp with aviva and went with that and it stayed the same this renewal

emy wrote: »
    Mine went up with around 48% AA car Insurance comprehensive. These insurance companies make nice money.
    From 325 to €485, over 7 years no claim bonus..... no change in circumstance.

actually many of them lost a lot of money over the last few years as they charged too little!

simply shop around - AA is a broker who only deals with some insurance companies and they give you a discount in the first year and charge you nicely in subsequent years.

Probably a €70 discount in 1st yeara nd then no discount + a €40 charge in 2nd year.

BTW - Insurance here is about 40% cheaper than UK at the moment and WAY cheaper than it used to be in the eighties and nineties and early 2000's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

I find I have to switch insurance every year, other wise I get charged more for being a repeat customer rather then a new one.

I am with aviva right now and last year when I bought insurance from them they where as cheap as chips compared to the others I looked at online.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 alano

Got my renewal policy. Increased from €362 in 2014 to €602! (€332 in 2013) No change in my circumstances, 36, male, 5 years no claims discount, 1.6 L Toyota, 3rd Party F&T with no extras.

Rang them up and gave them usual story loyal customer for 5 years etc, what can you do, sorry that's the best price we can give you.

Tried on line and got quotes of 489, 515, 700, 900, agghhhh. Tried AIG and got it for €348, that's some difference.

P.S. My car is low value €2000 and after talking to the girl in AIG this is why they would not give me an on-line quote, I got a reference number and had to ring them. That is probably why them same thing happened to me on a number of the other insurance websites. I am not sure what the cut off point is, but if you are not getting on on-line quote, stick in a higher number and you will probably get the quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

alano wrote: »
    I am not sure what the cut off point is, but if you are not getting on on-line quote, stick in a higher number and you will probably get the quote.

11 years for some, 15 for others

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hann56

Amazing! when I come here to look at Car insurance threads and I see adds about Car insurance on the right of my screen. What a RIP OFF Country we live in. talk about a CARTEL.

Hann56 wrote: »
    Amazing! when I come here to look at Car insurance threads and I see adds about Car insurance on the right of my screen. What a RIP OFF Country we live in. talk about a CARTEL.

Contextual ads happen everywhere

Paid my renewal yesterday.
    Stayed with Aviva and didn't bother shopping around.
    Car value about 4k and €300 excess.
    Full comprehensive cover for myself and Herself came in at €328.

Quite happy with that when I see quotes from other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,439 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

there are some attractive quotes out there if you shop around and everyones circumstances are different e.g. class 1 vs S&P insurance. e.g. FBD is cheap until you want class 1 and then it rockets above other quotes.

Advertisement